cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My download speed doesn't reach the speed of my package

frenzy
Joining in

I have received and installed my quick start package of 264mbps download speed and 20-30mbps upload speed. With speed tests, my upload speed is working fine at around 27mbps but my download speed is very low hitting around 40-50mbps. I use ethernet(TP Link AV1000) which should be able to handle up to 1000mbps. Any suggestions for getting my speed up to what it should be?

9 REPLIES 9

carl_pearce
Community elder

What does this site return, which tests the speed to your HUB over the VM network?

https://samknows.com/realspeed/

Powerline adapters never produce the same speed advertised.

Router is busy

We cannot run tests on your router now.

Wait a minute and try again.

is returned fairly often but when it actually works

frenzy_0-1697912266642.png

frenzy_0-1697925387325.png

sorry, I didn't realise there was a more 'full' test

sayekm
Fibre optic

I can share my experience with powerline. I have M350 and the Wi-Fi is reliabe between 360 to 395 around the house. My son plays a lot of online games and prefers a wired connection so the best option is a poweline without adding surface cables.

I have a AV1000 powerline but the speed never reaches 150Mbs. I am no expert in this field but did some google and it seems you will get the most speed if both powerlines are on the same cable without any other electrical devices connected on the same cable so no interference.

Its a family home so no choice but have other devices on the same line. And to make it worse the modem is downstairs and the 2nd powerline is upstairs so it passes the consumer fuse box which I understand affects the signal.

----------------------------------------------------------
M125 Volt powered by TP-Link Archer AX55

So it appears to be your powerline adapters causing the slow speed.

To be sure try a device connected directly to the HUB over Ethernet.

It's not in a great spot to do that from the day-to-day but I'll test to see if that's the problem.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Use a bit of lateral thinking.  Run an Cat 6 ethernet cable externally from downstairs to upstairs, not as difficult as it seems.  Cables can be clipped to downspouts etc. and run in at the house eves.  I've done this for a family member to supply full speed to the upper part of their house.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Client62
Legend

Is the computer network cable connected to the TP-LINK AV1000 ?

I ask because speeds up to about 50Mb/s would be expected from a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi connection to the AV1000.

Thanks for your post on our Community Forums @frenzy, and a very warm welcome to our Community Forums.

Do please feel free to provide us with an update on any tests or diagnostics you've ran - given the advice that's been offered thus far and we'll be happy to help further where possible.

Thanks,

David_Bn