Menu
sean5151
Tuning in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

My down speed has more than halved. What to do?

My download speed has reduced from an initial 110mbps to under 50mbps. This happens just after i filled in a Virgin media survey.to rate their service to which I rated well and said I was more than happy with the service. I kind of wish I had waited before filling that survey in. Anyway I have done the speed test, checked  the equipment, and can't see any reason why my download speed has dropped so much. I would be greatful for any advice before I have to ring Virgin media. BTW the service status webpage is down.

gobblebox
Tuning in
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: My down speed has more than halved. What to do?

I currently have less than 10mbps download and actually a faster upload speed.

0 Kudos
landymanrob
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I have just signed up for 500mb and currently only getting 50mb through ethernet cable and 15mb wireless!!! usaul cant talk to anyone about it.

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@sean5151 wrote:

My download speed has reduced from an initial 110mbps to under 50mbps. This happens just after i filled in a Virgin media survey.to rate their service to which I rated well and said I was more than happy with the service. I kind of wish I had waited before filling that survey in. Anyway I have done the speed test, checked  the equipment, and can't see any reason why my download speed has dropped so much. I would be greatful for any advice before I have to ring Virgin media. BTW the service status webpage is down.

Wired or wireless connection?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Seagull25
Joining in
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Same. Paid for the 350mb and barely getting 30mb. Called and obviously no one pick ups. Really poor.

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Please start your own threads rather than hijacking other threads 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
0 Kudos
sean5151
Tuning in
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I am on a wireless connection. I sit right next to the box or no more than several feet away so the issue isn't a range issue. I see there is a reported issue in the London area, but other people are complaining about issues in other areas. I am in Yorkshire area a long way away from London, and I'm having same problem.

Honestly, I wondered how long it would be before I started getting issues with ISP, probably the reason the service status webpage is down if so many people are having problems. This does not bode well for me stopping with Virgin media after my contract ends. I hope these issues are solved sooner rather than later because I need a reliable ISP... 

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

You need to speedtest when wired.

Wireless speeds and connectivity aren’t guaranteed. 

0 Kudos
sean5151
Tuning in
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Not sure what I need to do to have a wired connection. Besides I can't see what difference it's going to make anyway I don't need to do a speed test to know there is an issue with my download speed. I have done enough downloading everyday to be aware without any doubt that there is a download speed issue. Which makes me think actually that this could be Virgin media restricting my download speed. Maybe an average of 5 GB a day is a bit much for Virgin media. Who knows? 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

If you think that you have a BB speed problem, then to check the speeds coming in to your Hub properly, and whether they match what you should be getting, you cannot rely on wifi tests, - no BB supplier guarantees those - only speeds "TO" the Hub are guaranteed. So, you need to test speeds directly.... that's on an ethernet cable (Cat5e/6) connected to a GB enabled computer/laptop, with up to date drivers with the Hub in modem mode. Test at speedtest.net to your nearest VM server - try 2 different browsers.

If they are still low – boot the device into safe+networking mode and try again.

Report back what that gets . There are many posts on here where unknown software or other connected devices are limiting speeds on tests - I can post the list if you want to take a look?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos