cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Much slower after supposedly doubling my speed.

June58
Joining in

I phoned for a better deal last Friday. Got my package for £2 cheaper & you were supposed to be upgrading my BB speed from 125 to 250. It now seems to be very much slower. Any reason why this has happened?

9 REPLIES 9

Client62
Hero

Whenever we have a service speed change the Hub needs a reboot for the speed change to become active.

This link will test the speed to the Hub : https://www.samknows.com/realspeed/ 

I do not leave my hub on unless I am using the internet so my hub is rebooted regularly. I tried phoning Virgin but all they did was text me a link to my mobile which I could not use because I do not have a smartphone & the link was sooooooo long I couldn't type it into my laptop.

If you are reading this on a laptop just click on the link :  https://www.samknows.com/realspeed/ 

Turning off the hub constantly actually wont help - they tend to stabilise to their best speed over a period of time. I had a new Hub installed today, and although the speed was good as soon as it started it only really got a reliably fast (top-speed for my connection) download after 20-30 minutes.

Generally all modems are the same - there is a fair bit of handshaking that goes on between the modem and the Virgin/BT/whoever's kit to determine what the line speed actually is and they gradually work up to it so that they can achieve a nice, reliable and stable connection.

Dynamic Line Management is a best efforts feature of Openreach xDSL services over telephone lines.

Virgin Media's DOCSIS system does not do this.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Once the hub has ‘handshaked’ with the CMTS to get the appropriate channels your speed should be as specified in the hub settings. There is no bedding in period.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

I don't leave my hub switched on cos I don't use broadband 24/7 & I'm trying to use as little energy as possible cos of the high energy bills.

Until I changed/upgraded my Virgin Package, my old 125 speed was faster than what I have now, supposed to be 250.

My speed has never been fantastic but it was certainly better before I was 'supposedly' upgraded.

Thanks for the info, I will remember that. It did take some time for mine to get back to 600Mbps as the engineer hung about until it got there so I will keep an eye on it

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello June58.

Thanks for your post. 
Sorry to hear about the issue with your speeds after the upgrade.

I have ran a test on your Hub from here and you only have 1 upstream and 1 downstream channel.

In easy terms we need to get an engineer out.
I can look into arranging this for you.
If you don't mind, I will need to send you a private message to pass security. 
If you can check the purple envelope top right of your screen that would be great. 
Regards     
Gareth_L