Menu
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Modem mode issues on Hub 3 firmware 9.1.1912.302

Hi,

I've seen (and contributed to) a number of threads over the past few months on here relating to poor quality on Teams/Zoom and other applications which use UDP.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/Latency-spikes-low-quality-MS-teams-calls/td-p/4477035

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/UDP-issues-on-SuperHub3-collective-thread/td-p/4382720

I've been a long time (3+ years) Hub 3 modem mode user and not had any issues, until the start of October, when Teams/Zoom calls for both me and my Wife (separate computers, both wired, one Win 10 and one MacOS), deteriorated massively. Looking at the router logs, I saw an upgrade to 9.1.1912.302. 

Switching to router mode fixes the issues immediately, as does switching to a slower FTTC backup circuit I have. I also tried modem mode with different routers  attached (Mikrotik, OpenWRT, Fritzbox 7530, Netgear D7000), with the same issues - poor Teams/Zoom calls.

Oddly, I noticed overnight on 11/11 that my Hub 3.0 had reverted back to 9.1.1811.401. To test, I'm now back in modem mode and Zoom/Teams seem much much better. In fact, the overall experience is probably better than 9.1.1912.302 in router mode.

To VM staff - my question is, why did my firmware roll back, and is it likely to stay? Have Virgin realised there's an issue with 9.1.1912.302 and modem mode?

Cheers,

JG

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Modem mode issues on Hub 3 firmware 9.1.1912.302

Hi jgtimperley, thanks for the message and sorry to hear that you are having issues with the service? Can confirm if you are still having issues with this? Can you try a pin hole reset and we will send you a private message - Chris 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

@jgtimperley wrote:

To VM staff - my question is, why did my firmware roll back, and is it likely to stay? Have Virgin realised there's an issue with 9.1.1912.302 and modem mode?

One would hope but the forum team likely don't have the answer to your question like this...If I can't get VM to answer my question about changes made to WAN DHCP in my area then theirs no hope getting one by who does the firmware for the hub... 

In other words a forum team would need to know a guy who knows a guy.🙄 

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Cheers Chris. Things have actually progressed a little since my original post, but I didn't want to provide an update on here as I didn't want to 'bump' the thread to the back of the queue.

Shortly after my post, my Hub 3 actually 'upgraded' back to 9.1.1912.302. I've been running with the same configuration this week (i.e. my usual Mikrotik router with the Hub in modem mode), and MS Teams/Zoom have been OK for both of us all week.

As things are running OK for us at the moment, I'm going to leave things as they are. If I do see any issues though, I'll be sure to try a pinhole reset and see how things go.

Many thanks for your response. I'll reply to your PM anyway, just in case any issues crop up next week and we need to investigate further.
0 Kudos