Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Mobile gets 200mbps, computers getting 16mbps

Hi! 

We have successfully installed a 200mbps package and it's working fine - wifi speed tests on my mobile show that we're getting that speed (often beyond!)

But on the laptops in the house, we're getting around 16mbps - both wifi and ethernet. 

What baffles me is that when one of the laptops is used in an office, it is getting the maximum of that connection - 70mbps. 

So, it suggests there's a setting I need to twiddle with to boost the coverage. 

Looking at other forum posts, I can see people with similar issues but not solutions. Any advice welcomed! Thank you. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Mobile gets 200mbps, computers getting 16mbps

Sounds like your laptop doesnt have 5ghz wifi capability and is using the slower 2.4ghz wifi.

Logging into the hub and changing the 2.4ghz wifi channel might help but you probably wont ever get 200mb on your laptop if it cant do 5ghz

I work for Virgin Media and my posts are my own opinions
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for taking time to reply, I am grateful to you 🙂

The wireless card in my laptop is a qualcolmm QCA9377 802.11ac, and according to the specs, the Max Data Throughput: 2.4GHz 150Mbps, 5GHz 433Mbps
So it should be doing better than 16mbps!

Here is what the network is saying:
SSID: VM----------
Protocol: Wi-Fi 5 (802.11ac)
Security type: WPA2-Personal
Network band: 5 GHz
Network channel: 44
Link-local IPv6 address: fe80::8da1:c8c:5477:5465%20
IPv4 address: 192.168.0.16
IPv4 DNS servers: 194.168.4.100
Manufacturer: Qualcomm Communications Inc.
Description: Qualcomm QCA9377 802.11ac Wireless Adapter
Driver version: 12.0.0.916
Physical address (MAC): **:**:**:**:**:**

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

It does sound then that the laptops are selecting the 2.4 network to connect to. To force them onto the 5GHz one, log into the settings and rename the SSID's like this...

Assuming you have the Hub3 on a new package(?) log into the settings and in Advanced>wireless>smart wifi - tick the disable “channel optimisation” box and save settings. Then, go to advanced>wireless>security, rename the 2.4 & 5 GHz network ssid's. Just change 'em to whatever you like and something that will differentiate them (e.g - xxxxx2 & xxxxx5) -- use the same password if you like, Then, apply settings and restart the Hub.
Your 2 wifi networks will now be clearly separated - and you can then select the network you want to connect to individually from the "available networks" list on each device.
If it doesnt work or you dont like it then go back with a pinhole reset of the Hub

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

SOLVED! SOLUTION: DISABLE DELL'S SMART BYTE APP

Tested my wife's laptop last night - it gave a 210Mbps when using ethernet, and 60mpbs on wifi. Clearly it has settled down and I suspect that is the maximum she will get. 

My laptop is a Dell and it turns out it has a Dell-installed programme called SmartByte, which was throttling the connection. Turn it off and the ethernet speed goes to maximum. Wifi to 148Mbps, which again I suspect will be the maximum speed for a wifi connection. 

0 Kudos