cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Minimum guaranteed download speed

khenapart
Joining in

So i know Virgin Media have the policy that if your broadband speed is below 50% of your guaranteed download speed, you have grounds to get out of the early cancellation fee.

I was wondering if anyone knows if this includes wireless and not just through the ethernet cable?

4 REPLIES 4

carl_pearce
Community elder

No.

The minimum guaranteed for wireless is 20Mbps:

https://www.virginmedia.com/wifi-max

VMUser1812
Fibre optic

It doesn’t include wireless, it really can’t as they are far too many oddball variables involved in WiFi to be able to make any sort of guarantees. 

What VM do claim is that if you get consistently less than 50% of the rated speed over a wired connection, then they will, reluctantly, I’m sure, let you leave without any penalty. When it comes to WiFi, the situation is different and you need to divorce the marketing ‘BS’ from the reality.

So imagine that you sign up to a VM package and find that the WiFi provision in certain rooms (and in the small print VM exclude outbuildings, sheds, patios, etc) is slow or non existent? Well then VM will offer you up to three of their ‘pod’s free of charge, although there are a couple of hoops you need to jump through to get them, in an attempt to fix it. Now suppose that you have all three pods but still the speed over WiFI doesn’t exceed 20 Mb/s, repeatedly, in a particular back bedroom? In this case, VM will pay you £100 in bill credit and then wash their hands of the whole thing! And if you do accept the £100 then please, don’t ever, ever, complain again about slow WiFI speed anywhere in your house since as far as VM are concerned, they have ‘bought you off’, so, putting it bluntly, ‘do one’! Not sure if you also have to return the pods, just to add insult to injury!

Read the small print!

What I am saying is that despite the marketing blurb, there are and can never be any ‘guarantees’ of WiFI performance, I‘m afraid the physics of how it works just doesn’t permit it!

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The minimum guaranteed wireless speed is rather convulated. The way I read it is that it can't be used as a means to cancel.  I may be wrong and you would need VM to confirm if it can be used as a method for cancelling without early termination fees.

See the /WiFi Max Terms & Condtions 

How does the WiFi Guarantee work?
5 (a) All customers who subscribe to the WiFi Max service are eligible for our money back WiFi Guarantee, which, subject to the terms below, guarantees you WiFi download speeds of at least 20 Mbps in every room, or a £100 one-off credit on your next bill.
(b) The WiFi Guarantee and eligibility for WiFi Pods does not cover broadband faults or broadband network outages. In the event that you are not receiving download speeds of at least 20Mbps in every room, we reserve the right to carry out a needs based assessment of your WiFi performance at the registered account address. This assessment may identify other root causes for the WiFi coverage issues you are experiencing, and we reserve the
right to use our discretion in identifying the solution for improving your WiFi performance (which may include, but is
not limited to, replacing your Hub, advising you to reposition your Hub and/or WiFi Pods or providing you with a technician visit).

The scope of the WiFi Guarantee excludes the following:
(d) i. WiFi speed tests using a VPN connection (which may unduly cap the speed reported, and not be reflective of the actual speed delivered to your device);
ii. exterior buildings (including, but not limited to, garages, sheds and garden offices);
iii. unconverted loft (one that is unfurnished);
iv. outside of the home;
v. if you caused a fault, for example, incorrect use of devices;
vi. failure to follow our reasonable instructions;
vii. instances where we reasonably suspect that a claim is fraudulent, frivolous or vexatious; and 
viii. instances where you fail to inform us of any known restrictions within your control

(i) If you are still unable to receive download speeds of at least 20Mbps in every room after installing your third (and final) WiFi Pod, you should contact us by signing into My Virgin Media and clicking on Your Package and following the steps in the WiFi Max tab. Alternatively, you can get in touch through one of our accessible contact options (see https://www.virginmedia.com/help/accessibility). We will run further diagnostic checks and we may send a technician to your home to check that your WiFi Pods are set up to give you the strongest possible WiFi signal. You agree to follow our reasonable instructions and (if we require it) provide our technician with access to your home on the day agreed for your visit. After that, if you still don’t receive a WiFi download speed of at least 20 Mbps in every room, you can contact us and we shall provide you with a one-off credit of £100 on your next
Virgin Media bill. This credit is only available once to the account holder at any particular address.

(k) If the one-off £100 credit is applied to your account and you are subscribing to WiFi Max as an extra paid-for add-on, you may choose to continue paying for the WiFi Max service without the benefit of any further WiFi Guarantee or cancel WiFi Max by providing us with 30 days’ notice.
(l) Your rights and obligations under your agreement for your broadband or any other service with Virgin Media remains unaffected by the payment of the one-off £100 credit.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

VM doing wifi takes away people learning about wifi people now see a number and expect to see that when speed testing and mostly by wifi.

---------------------------------------------------------------