Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Mega slow download speed

I have been on virgin broad band since 30.10.20 and was promised minimum 500mbps. 

Using the latest Samsung 20+ or surface pro 7. (With all updates) I can just about get 500mbps if I stand next to router. ln the kitchen where I work (approximately 4 meters away (one wall separating me) from router, on a good day i get  200mbpsh, happy days I understand the further you go from router the slower it gets.

Since the install we have had irregular periods when the speed drops to 30mbps, I waited the customary 7 days for the system to settle down, doing occasional router power cycle.

After 7 days I tried 150, the automated process stated it could see a problem but would send a signal to reset. The first couple of times this signal brought the speeds back to what I first had.

Now 3 weeks in I'm getting speeds of 1- 7 mbps. Many power cycles later and virgin resetting my box im still on Mega slow speed of anywhere between 1- 30mpbs

I can't get to speak to anyone, I was on hold twice for over an hour only to be hung up on.

I'm bitterly disappointed this utopia broadband speed as been demonstrated to me but still out of reach. Without anyone to turn to.

Help me obtain the promised broad band speed 

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: Mega slow download speed

You will only obtain the promised speeds on an ethernet connection - not necessarily on wifi.

So do it this way and report back what you get - if its good we can sort the wifi issues next.

As you are expecting >100mbps, make sure that your device has a gigabit network card (not a 10/100 one or one that is “limited" to that in its settings or you will never get over ~100mbps) and has the most up to date drivers. Use a new Cat6ae ethernet cable (old ones do "fail" and Cat6e is better) to connect it directly to the Hub - which you have put into modem mode (see VM website for the "how to") this ensures only your one device is connected. Check speeds like that first.

If they are still low - then, boot up your (Windows) device into "safe mode with networking" (to disable any software on it that could be limiting speeds - lots do!). Run your speedtests at speedtest.net (do them on x2 close VM servers) using 2 different browsers - preferably with one of which is a fresh download of one you haven’t previously used (e.g. Firefox, Opera, Safari etc).

There are many posts on here where unknown/flaky software, old network card drivers, corrupted browsers or other connected devices are limiting speeds on tests.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos