Menu
Fjolnir
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Massive speed drop

Have been experiencing for a few weeks now.

Currently have the Gig1 plan - Hub4 in Modem mode with the R8000 nighthawk router

Speeds have been in the 900s-1000s in Mb/s but have recently dropped to less than 200Mb/s (download speed) since the turn of the new year.
Haven't added any new devices that hadn't already been in the network since initially using my third party router.
The upload speeds have remained fairly consistent throughout.
Haven't had any issues at all with using my third party router up until this point which is very strange to me.

When in router mode (the hub4) connection speeds are normal but upon turning on Modem mode - with any other routers the exact same drop in speed which I find very strange.

Is the hub4/virgin just not friendly with third party routers - and if not why would this happen after a solid month of no issues?

Troubleshooting I've tried:

- Changing DNS - Got my download speeds up to 495Mp/s before dropping back to about 200Mb/s 5 minutes later
- Rebooting of both Hub4 and third-party router

- Reset to factory settings on both

- Checked for latest firmware on both (No updates that I can see around the time of the drop in connection).

- Checked cabling - replaced ethernet cable from Hub4 to router with known working cable

- Tried with known working third party router - no difference in speeds

All to no avail. I have seen a few other threads with similar issues on third party routers but any help to solve this once and for all would be greatly appreciated!

0 Kudos
TrueVerdict
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Massive speed drop

The hub 4 isnt a great hub- yet. They are still learning about it (as it is new) and its flaws which is one of the reasons it isnt on a mass rollout to all customers....well that and stock issues as they explained to me....

None of the frontline team have any training in connection issues this was explained to me, but are dealt with my the 2nd line faults team but ultimately they won't offer much support to 3rd party devices.

As for your issue do you ultimately need to run the Nighthawk? do you have any boosters/powerlines/mesh adapters than can be tested with running the hub 4 in factory mode and see if you get the same results? That being said, it is likely a firmware update will be needed to get fully functionality for the hub 4 in modem mode and 3rd party equipment but that isnt virgins priority as they have just released the ''mesh pods'' and will no doubt want to get them working rather than your nighthawk

--------------------------------------------------------------
If you find my responses help or amuse you in any way, please cheer me up and give me some Kudos - - - - Services: Hub3 500mb speedtest.net result 22 Jan 2021 = 550mb down / 36mb up Ping 12
Fjolnir
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hey,

Thanks for the reply!

That's understandable and a big shame 😞 
It's very strange that it had been working just fine for a while and then all of a sudden dropped so low *on Ethernet (all testing was done via ethernet).
We use the Nighthawk as it's UI is incredibly helpful and allows us to manage the quantity of devices we use - not the kind of thing we can get out of any ISP routers we've had.

Hopefully in the near future they can resolve this with a firmware update as it's really a shame 😞

Do you know if the Hub3 faces similar issues? If not, I might see if that's a suitable replacement (if it supports gigabit, haven't researched much about it yet).

0 Kudos
Irishdexy
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I suspect the SH3 has the same issue Fjolnir,  I use the R7000 Series Nighthawk and since an upgrade to M500 from M350 the speed we get is actually slower than M350, a shame considering I'm paying more for the Speed Boost.

Like you; I use the Nighthawk for Home Working, Enhanced WiFi, and generally, the UI is a lot better.

I can't help but feel that we should be able to flash the modem with our own Firmware, but we can't actually do that, but it would be nice for VM to Allow us to pick what version we use on it as long as we don't grumble if the lower firmware goes wrong. Working in IT I'd take the risk to get the speeds I'd like.

I'm working on getting a SamKnows Whitebox to see what the actual speeds are at the moment to see what mine gets.

Good Luck with yours