Menu
juliepeez
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Massive speed difference - 2.4ghz Vs 5ghz

Been setup for a couple of weeks on M200.

Whilst the speeds have been up and down, in general I get between 170mbps to 210mbps on most devices, which I'm happy enough with.

However, certain devices tend to connect to 2.4ghz rather than 5ghz and when on 2.4, I'm only getting a maximum of 30mbps, more often around 10 to 20.

I understand 5ghz is/can be faster at closer range but nothing like this and I don't believe it's normal at all.

In fact, with previous providers I have often disabled 5ghz for the more stable 2.4ghz connection and not noticed any difference.

I have been with virgin a few years ago (100 meg) and it also didn't have this issue.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Massive speed difference - 2.4ghz Vs 5ghz

2.4ghz is going to be much slower.
0 Kudos
jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

You could change the wifi bandwidth on the 2.4ghz to 40mhz if you log into the hubs WiFi settings but you'll be lucky to get 60mb on 2.4ghz., this is NORMAL

0 Kudos
juliepeez
Tuning in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

That's disappointing. I didn't see anything in the sign up pages or the contract that mentions this.

I know nobody makes guarantees about WiFi speeds but surely somebody should mention some devices might only get 10% of the advertised speed!

0 Kudos
Bigdrumz
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

The wifi range of the Hub 3 isn't that great.
Because of this lot of people including myself put the Hub 3 into modem mode and got a separate WiFi router.
The features and range of the WiFi router are far superior than any ISP supplied router.
0 Kudos