Menu
andy_42
Tuning in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Massive latency spikes and packet loss

For most of this year I have been getting intermittent latency spikes and packet loss problems, mostly showing itself when trying to stream video from You Tube, etc. Searching the Virgin Media forums and other places it seems quite a few people have been seeing the same issue when running in modem mode since an update to the hub went out earlier this year. Recently things haven't been so bad and it wasn't a big issue, it would occasionally spike but nothing too bad, however since yesterday the problem has gone off the chart - every few minutes latency hits the 100's of ms and more, packet loss is 20-100% and I cannot stream anything without it constantly buffering, websites take ages to load, etc. I've been using the ThinkBroadband BQM for some time now and this is the chart showing the start of this, at around 9am on the 10th August:

Snap111333.jpg

And this is todays, as you can see my IP changed overnight which shows as 100% packet loss, I updated the monitor with the new IP this morning and you can see it just picks up where it left off.

Snap111334.jpg

As mentioned I run in modem mode, originally using IPFire but now with PFSense, both running natively rather than virtualised.

Nothing is downloading or uploading such as bittorrent or similar other than what is related to my work as I am currently WFH like most people.

0 Kudos
andy_42
Tuning in
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Massive latency spikes and packet loss

For some reason the pics I uploaded of the BQM graphs aren't working either 🙄

0 Kudos
Zoie_P
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Massive latency spikes and packet loss

Hi Andy_42,

thank you for your post I am sorry you are having issues with your internet, I have had a look remotely and can see you were affected by an outage and that is has been resolved. I can see everything looks fine, please let me know if otherwise

thanks,

Zoie

0 Kudos