Menu
raymitchell
Tuning in
Message 1 of 23
Flag for a moderator

M600 but only getting speeds ranging from 78Mbps to 212Mbps

I upgraded my broadband to the M600 service a week ago from the M300 package.  The following morning, the download speed had dropped to 175 Mbps.  I managed to contact Virgin at 8am that morning and was told that there was a slight problem in the area but this would be resolved by the following morning.  I called again the following morning to be told that the speed would improve throughout the day  By Thursday there was no change and I called again at 8am to be told it might be my wifi and the concrete walls!  I explained it was the input into my Hub 3.0.  By Saturday, when I could call 150, there was a message saying that there was an issue in our area which would be repaired by 1:35pm.  This message has not changed in 3 days and I can no longer raise Virgin.

I attempted to call Virgin today and the message has changed to 'Sorry, we are really busy - perhaps you could try to call later - Goodbye'.

Could anybody suggest any way I could proceed???

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 23
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: M600 but only getting speeds ranging from 78Mbps to 212Mbps

As well as trying the “check service,” Area status webpage" (link at top right of this forum), also try the “free & automated” Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 - which usually tells you of more local issues down to postcode level. These may not be listed on the Area Status web page (Areas are not “Geographic” they are billing areas) as that usually only covers faults affecting 1000’s of customers) so phone may give you more info, but even that wont cover problems affecting just a few customers.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
raymitchell
Tuning in
Message 3 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Thanks very much for your help on this one.

I managed to contact Virgin this morning and managed to get a sensible answer.  It seems there is an oversubscription in my area and this is causing noise on the fibre which slows the speed down due to errors.  They are working on this and I have been told that the problem should be resolved shortly.  Interestingly enough, on Friday, the status line (which is the same as the 0800 number you gave me - thanks for this too) mentioned that they were working hard to improve the service in my area and the issue should be resolved at 1:35pm.  The same message was played on Saturday and yesterday.  They didn't mention which day!  The person who gave me the explanation this morning told me it would be 1:35pm today. If the service was still dreadful by 2pm I should call back.  Maybe I am gullible but let's see.

Thanks again for your help.

Ray

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 23
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You might want to look at Andruser's comments on these issues in message 4 here.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Jitter-and-latency/m-p/4609932#M378967

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
raymitchell
Tuning in
Message 5 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Thanks very much John,

As suspected the service hasn't improved any.  The telephone message still claims that VM are working very hard to improve the service.  I called the service line at 2:00 pm and heard the same old message that the problem will be resolved at 1:35pm.  This is the same message that has been relayed since Friday.

Below are 2 screen shots taken 10 minutes apart:

raymitchell_1-1613485380481.png

raymitchell_0-1613485334114.png

At time the upload speed gets all the way to 41 Mbps and the download almost to 275Mbps.

Considering I used to have the M300 package and now have the M600 package, I can see no real reason I should continue with Virgin and, when I can get them on the phone again will cancel.  Let's be honest, the speeds I am getting now beat BT and the others but they won't cost as much and my blood pressure might be managed more successfully.  All I really wanted from VM was a reliable fast broadband package and a little honesty.

Thanks to you all including Andruser for the detailed facts - very much appreciated.

Take care

Ray

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Only issue with cancelling is that if you are still within a minimum contract period then you will be subject to early disconnection charges as well as the 30-day notice period.

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/the-legal-stuff/terms-and-conditions-for-fibre-optic-services#end

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/the-legal-stuff/terms-and-conditions-for-fibre-optic-services/early...

--------------------
John
--------------------

0 Kudos
raymitchell
Tuning in
Message 7 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Fair point John but I only signed up the the 600Mbps package last Monday so have a cooling off period.  I will be sorry to leave but I assume that if I revert to the 350 Mbps package I might get even more dreadful results.

Take care

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 23
Flag for a moderator

If it is overutilisation it will not really matter what speed you are on.

Lets look at the connection - can you do this....

If you haven’t already, set up a free and secure “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any true network dropouts , latency issues, packet drops, etc - it will thus allow you to differentiate between those and simple wifi dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with VM - note it will take a few hours to start seeing a sensible picture - post up the “link” to the “share live graph” (as per instructions on the TB website) when it starts to develop.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

--------------------
John
--------------------

0 Kudos
raymitchell
Tuning in
Message 9 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Will do thanks.  I'll post in the next 40 minutes.

Much appreciated

0 Kudos
raymitchell
Tuning in
Message 10 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for this.  I have set the monitor up and will see what transpires.  I will post the results when we have some.

In the meantime, I managed to get the Retentions Department who passed me onto the Second Line Support.  The person told me that it was an F&R  problem which needed to be resolved at the cabinet.  This would be resolved by Friday at - you guessed it - 1:35pm.  I might be wrong here but I always thought an F&R stood for 'Fair and Reasonable'.  If I am wrong, I'd be pleased to be educated.

Thanks for your kind assistance so far and I will post the stats when I have them.

Take care

Ray

0 Kudos