Menu
Hairymushrooms
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

M500 wifi

Morning, i i have just joined virgin on the M500 package. (fitted yesterday)

on the 2.4 wireless im only getting 23mb down speed and im getting 170 on the 5g.

is this normal? my kids use devices that are only 2.4 compatible and it freezes when they use it.

I was getting better speeds from BT fiber, i was expecting more.

Also, the signal on wifi is poor, it drops off upstairs. Im shocked to be honest, its only a standard house.

0 Kudos
Andruser
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: M500 wifi

You can probably improve those speeds a bit, but depends on the device.  For 2.4 GHz you might want to try changing the channel manually (choosing channel 1, 6 or 11) and see if that helps - and turn off automatic optimisation, that's a feature that causes more trouble than its worth and may explain the kids' connection woes.  Typically you won't see much better than 80 Mbps on a 2.4 GHz connection.  For 5 GHz you may be able to improve speeds by increasing the channel width to 20/40/80, and with that you should (if the device allows it) see speeds up to 350 Mbps and maybe higher.

As for wireless strength, VM's hubs have always been poor wifi routers.  Most of the regulars here (including me) have set the VM hub to modem mode and bought our own router or wireless mesh systems.  You may be unwilling to spend the money, but in all honesty that is the best option.  ISP provided hubs are built down to the lowest possible price, and VM's are amongst the crummiest.

If you do decide to spend some (more) money, then:

1) Avoid boosters - they're a kludge that can work, but doesn't always, and if you rent them from VM they're staggeringly poor value.

2) Consider a premium router from somebody like Asus (and their RT range)  if you want highest possible wireless speeds....

3) ...or go with a mesh wifi system is you're prepared to trade a little bit of maximum speed for more comprehensive coverage round the property.  And it's still be faster than the VM hub.  I'm using a £100 TP-LInk Deco M4 mesh, and it's worlds better than the unreliable wifi of my Hub 3.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Hairymushrooms
Joining in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, I don't mind spending on a router if it will improve the connection.

Is there an all in one router i can buy or do they all need connecting to the hub?

Thanks

0 Kudos
apcyberax
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

they all need connecting to the hub. YOu can't use your own modem that has to be the Hub. you can use your own cable router with the hub in modem mode
0 Kudos
Buffer6
Hero
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

If your kids devices have a usb3 port you can use an adaptor from usb3 to Gigabit ethernet, a wired connection, you can find one on Amazon

0 Kudos
Hairymushrooms
Joining in
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

need WiFi but thanks for the suggestion.

this hub is absolutely sh*te, can't even get wifi on amazon devices lol.

I'll try another router, its just knowing which one works with it, theres so many suggestions.

0 Kudos
BatletUK
Up to speed
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Amazon devices can be a pain with Wi-Fi sometimes, especially annoying that a lot of them don't  support DFS channels.

Just saying it might not be all down to the hub. 

Though it probably is 😎

Oomph Hub3 (modem mode) RT-AC68U with Merlin F/W.

My Broadband Ping - VirginMedia

My Broadband Speed Test
0 Kudos
Hairymushrooms
Joining in
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I had no issues with BT on any wifi

20200619_094403.jpg

 i keep getting this even after factory reset

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

You need to disable “smart” WiFi on the hub and split the bands

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Hairymushrooms
Joining in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Done that already.

Think im gonna have to buy either WiFi extend plugs or a router

0 Kudos