cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M500 speed variations

michrome
Tuning in

Hi all this is my first post here so hopefully I am providing useful information. I am on a Virgin Media M500 package and I'm seeing large variations in the speed of my service. According to fast.com I had 14 Mbps last night, 510Mbps this morning and I'm back down to 20 Mbps as I type this message. My upload speed seems less varied around 30Mbps.

Note I am not changing any of my configuration, so I would think the variation in speed is most likely coming from outside my home.

My setup is:

• M500 package
  • Superhub 3 (I think it's at least 5 years old)
  • Superhub running in modem mode
  • Running 2 AmpliFi HDs, connected via ethernet backbone
  • Ethernet connected to the AmplifFi HDs is PS4, a smart TV and 2 Apple TV 4ks.
  • All wiring is Cat6.
  • Approx 20 devices are connected to WiFi. Mobile phones, tablets, laptops and some HomeKit lightbulbs.

I've tested speed using fast.com, thinkbroadband, samknows and the AmpliFi's built-in speed tests. The built-in test rules out any fluctuations caused by WiFi.

Accessing Virgin's own check https://care.virginmedia.com/care/check-services gives me the error "Looks like you’re having trouble connecting to the Hub". I am wondering if that's because it's in modem mode.

I've just signed up to thinkbroadband's quality monitor as attached.

Also attached are my latest superhub stats. Does anyone have any suggestions for what I could look at?

Many thanks.

My Broadband Ping - Virgin Media M500 Harrogate

2 REPLIES 2

michrome
Tuning in

Sorry folks - I accidentally double-posted (this didn't show up as my account was new). Let's consolidate on the other post. 😀 

Hi michrome,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community and welcome back, sorry to see you are getting a variation in speeds while running checks, I wasn't able to have a look our end as couldn't locate your account with the details we have for you.

Looking at your BQM there isn't anything wrong there, so we can get the speed that is hitting the Router, put our router back into Router mode and do a speed test via Samknows Realspeed.

Once checked this will show exactly what is hitting the Router, different test and devices will vary.

Regards

Paul.