cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M500 minimum speed well below guaranteed minimum

Damianp
On our wavelength

I've very recently upgraded to the M500 broadband package hoping it would improve the stability and speed of my broadband.

Since getting it, the highest download speed I've had from a hardwired connection is around 95Mb, well below the guaranteed minimum of 258Mb.

I've contacted Virgin Media and they've checked things from their end and can't find any issues.

I've had extensive checks on my poor broadband connection, a new cable from the cabinet etc, all my internal wiring checked numerous times.

I suspect that the issue lies with the cabinet which numerous engineers have said is a complete mess.

What can I do if I consistently don't get the minimum guaranteed 258Mb download speed?

7 REPLIES 7

Alex_RM
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Damianp,

Thanks for posting, and sorry to hear you've been having some connection issues. I've had a look at things from our side and can see we are currently monitoring the connection. If you can please wait the full 24 hours so we can determine if there are any issues, and report back.

Alex_Rm

Client62
Legend

Usually this is a faulty network cable that is de-rating the connection from 1000Mb/s to 100Mb/s but you mention having replaced this.

It can also be a caused by  crossing a 10/100 Mb/s network switch or by using a 10/100Mb/s USB to Ethernet adaptor.

Speed test the service to a Router mode Hub(3/4/5) + your device with the link below.
https://www.samknows.com/realspeed/

Once the test begins click on: Run full test to see all the stats.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@Damianp wrote:

I've very recently upgraded to the M500 broadband package hoping it would improve the stability and speed of my broadband.

WHY!😤

---------------------------------------------------------------

Damianp
On our wavelength

They offered it to me for the same price I was previously paying.

Damianp
On our wavelength

Brilliant, thank you. I've been using my Superhub 4 in Modem mode and connecting that to a Deco M4R Mesh system.

I put my SH4 back into router mode, connected it to my laptop with an ethernet cable and then did the speedtest.

I was getting 544Mbps down and 50Mbps up!

I then put the SH4 back into modem mode and googled why my Deco M4R was limiting the bandwidth to 100Mbps - there was a setting I had to change in the QoS section.

I'm now getting 240Mbps download on my phone - cheers!

sayekm
Fibre optic

You will get 550Mbs+ on M500 with decent Wi-Fi equipment. Deco M4 is aimed at low tier internet. I have used Deco M5 on M200 in the past and it would heat up and struggled when several people were streaming. But still better than Hub3.

If you sell that Deco M4 on ebay and get a Wi-Fi 6 router or Mesh you will benefit from the awesome speed of the M500 ;)...otherwise you be better off on cheaper M250 

----------------------------------------------------------
M125 Volt powered by TP-Link Archer AX55

Client62
Legend

If QoS can be totally disabled that may give the best performance.