Menu
Af1997
Joining in
Message 1 of 23
Flag for a moderator

M500 but getting 5-30mbps

I’ve been on the M250 plan for about a year and was consistently getting 250mbps throughout the entire year. I then wanted m500 but had to get everything else with it - sim tv etc. Despite just wanting the faster speed. I’m now only getting between 5-30mps for some reason. I can only guess it’s because everyone is at home due to COVID and VM can’t keep up with the demand.

Having said that, I work odd hours and I still find the speeds are slow even between 2-6am when I’d expect there is the the least amount of demand.

Is there anything I can do about this? (Ie find out if that is the case and do anything about it

Thanks in advance! 

0 Kudos
SCA1972
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Re: M500 but getting 5-30mbps

@Af1997 Are you in Ireland?  The reason I ask is that VM UK don't do an M250 package, but VM Ireland do, and this is a forum for VM UK customers and the staff here can only help UK customers.

My setup: V6 TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Af1997
Joining in
Message 3 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Ah sorry I meant 200Mbps, my apologies! I’m actually in Bristol.

SCA1972
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 23
Flag for a moderator

OK, just had to check as we do occasionally get Irish visitors drop by.

Are you testing speeds via a wired or wireless connection?

Some hub stats might help.

If you go to http://192.168.0.1/ (or http://192.168.100.1/ if you are in modem mode) to get the VM hub GUI. Don't login (unless this is your first visit to the hub GUI, which does require you to login) but instead click on Router Status which is a text link at the bottom of the screen. Click on the Downstream, Upstream and Network Log sections and copy & paste the figures from those screens and post them here, don't worry about the formatting or you can post screenshots if that is easier. If using screenshots be careful to edit out or obscure any reference to your WAN IP or MAC address in the log to protect your privacy.  If you copy and paste the log then the forum will automatically censor this sensitive information. Also note that images will take time to appear on the forum due to a combination of awaiting moderator approval and buggy code.

The community can have a look for you and see if anything in the figures looks wrong and advise accordingly. Or you can wait for the VM staff to pick up this thread (can take a few days) and run checks on your line.

My setup: V6 TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Janpaulcel
Tuning in
Message 5 of 23
Flag for a moderator

I’m on M500, actually now M600. But only getting about 30mbps... according to the Virgin site on my iPhone. All my cabling including external cabling to the road has been recently updated by Virgin. The virgin phone and chat just keeps cutting me off. Any help would be much appreciated 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Bigdrumz
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 23
Flag for a moderator

How do you connect to the Hub?
0 Kudos
Janpaulcel
Tuning in
Message 7 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Hello. I have a cable into the hub which connects to one TiVo directly. The other 2 tivos are on Wi-fi 

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Probably the terminology that is confusing.

V6 boxes use a co-ax connection and require internet either ethernet or Wi-Fi.

Tivo boxes use a co-ax connection and do not require internet either ethernet or Wi-Fi.

If you have a Tivo connected with an ethernet cable to your Hub, that could be the root cause of your problems.

tivo-v6

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 23
Flag for a moderator

What speeds do you get at >> speedtest.net << with a direct connection using a Cat 5E or better ethernet cable between the Hub in Router Mode and a 1Gbs capable Pc/Mac/Chromebook and no other devices connected ?

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Can you please

Type 192.168.0.1 (192.168.100.1 in Modem mode) into your browser URL bar and press enter. 

Hub 2 & 3 When the page appears DO NOT LOG IN but click ‘Check Router Status’.

Hub 4 When the page appears LOG IN then click ‘Check Router Status’.

Copy and paste the contents of the Downstream, Upstream, Configuration and Network Log tabs onto here, if you get a yellow / straw box warning click the Post button again. Use one post for each tab if you wish.

Please do not use screen grabs.

A Guru will be along soon to decipher the info.

0 Kudos