Menu
AaronShippam
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

M500 broadband

So I recently brought vthe M500 broadband and I was expecting to have fast speeds especially in games I used to average around 25 to 30 ping in game however with this new box (hub 4) im averaging 40 to 60 which i know isn't terrible however it's more because I was expecting faster speeds. My mum used to pay for the Internet which was the M200 (I think) and I decided to take the bill out of her hands and start paying for Internet myself. Any advice on this?

0 Kudos
risc19
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: M500 broadband

The bandwidth of your connection has nothing to do with your ping.

Ping is how long it takes for the packet to go there and back.

Bandwidth is how many you can download at once.

Broadband = Wide band = more download speed

My Broadband Ping - 1GIG HUB4 Router mode

HUB4 1Gig Router mode
0 Kudos
AaronShippam
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Ah okay my bad, I just assumed that with a better Internet box and subscription I'd be getting more ping in game. I don't know to much about tech stuff I just know that in my house we have alot of people using Internet all at once so figured the best one I could get would suit my house more and my own needs

0 Kudos
risc19
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Don't get me wrong more bandwidth is better to have but gaming barely uses any.

Gaming is super dependant on a steady stream of data arriving and leaving on time.

If any gets lost (packet loss) or starts taking longer to get there (latency spikes) that when it feels awful to play.

Generally virgin network is not great at this. The technology it uses called Docsis tends to have higher latency or ping compared to to say bt.

My Broadband Ping - 1GIG HUB4 Router mode

HUB4 1Gig Router mode
0 Kudos
Natalie_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi AaronShippam, 

Thank you for posting to the Community. 

I have taken a look from our side and there does appear to be some issues with the downstream power levels which we will need to investigate further. 

I am going to pop you over a private message now and this will be available via the purple envelope on the top right of the page. 

Speak soon 

Nat
0 Kudos