Menu
Quevelda
Tuning in
Message 11 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Re: M500 a huge disappointment - New Customer

Thank you Adduxi. I will certainly take your recommendation and order one, as you say, just in case.  

0 Kudos
Quevelda
Tuning in
Message 12 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wi-Fi is the poor relation when it comes to LAN connectiv...

Hello Mike

I did buy Netgear Nighthawk R8000P Router and find that the WiFi connection on the ground floor with TP Link power line is only around 40mbps. The connection in upstairs rooms is 500mbps or thereabouts under WiFi as well as Ethernet. So downstairs it is an improvement but not as much as I was hoping.  Could you please let me know whether there is anything I can do to improve the signal downstairs?

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 13 of 19
Flag for a moderator

@Quevelda wrote:

Hello Mike

I did buy Netgear Nighthawk R8000P Router and find that the WiFi connection on the ground floor with TP Link power line is only around 40mbps. The connection in upstairs rooms is 500mbps or thereabouts under WiFi as well as Ethernet. So downstairs it is an improvement but not as much as I was hoping.  Could you please let me know whether there is anything I can do to improve the signal downstairs?

What's the model number of the powerline adapter?

0 Kudos
Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 14 of 19
Flag for a moderator

@Quevelda wrote:

Hello Mike

I did buy Netgear Nighthawk R8000P Router and find that the WiFi connection on the ground floor with TP Link power line is only around 40mbps. <snip>

Powerline adaptors are notoriously slow despite the marketing, as they rely on the house wiring circuits.  If you are connecting a powerline from upstairs to downstairs, that is another hurdle. Those circuits are on two separate rings, so the data will have to traverse the fuse box.  If you want good speeds downstairs consider routing a cable, even think externally from one floor to the other. Once you have a cable installed, your speed should be the same as upstairs. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 15 of 19
Flag for a moderator

@Adduxi is 100% right and quite polite; Personally I'd describe boosters as a bodge solution to wifi problems.  Sometimes they work very well.  But sometimes they don't, and when they don't there's little the user can usually do to improve matters.

Not sure why the Deco M9 Plus was seen as a recommendation - decent piece of kit, but expensive, particularly for an 802.11ac device.  A three unit Deco M4 would have done the job for £130.  It would probably have been slightly constrained on maximum speed compared to an M9, but not by much.  My M4 maxes out my 200 Mbps connection from the secondary unit, and I'd guess from a range of internet reviews and speed tests would probably be good for 450 Mbps from the primary, 300 for the secondary, and 150 for a third unit if in pure "chained" links.  But that's still a very decent speed over wifi.  If your property has solid internal walls (particularly 20th C brick or concrete) that may further reduce wifi speeds of any system (including mesh), but still usually a better bet than running ethernet round the house.  If you're doing a refurb or have spare trunking to route ethernet cables, then by all means go for that, but otherwise my recommendation is always mesh.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Quevelda
Tuning in
Message 16 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi Carl

It’s TP-LINK WPA4220 WiFi Powerline Adapter Kit - AV600.
0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 17 of 19
Flag for a moderator

That is a single band 2.4 GHz booster, I believe.  A good unit, but best for a single user and a couple of devices, rather than trying to support multiple concurrent users.

As it is 2.4 GHz, the real world MAXIMUM you'd ever see is about 80 Mbps, and if there's any signal attenuation from heavy walls or other adverse wifi circumstances devices will fall back to slower speeds and 802.11g speeds.

If you're committed to powerline boosters rather than a mesh or ethernet connected access points, you might want to consider buying a unit with 802.11ac 5 GHz capability.  And as always with powerline kit, it usually needs to be on the same electrical circuit (ie controlled by the same fuse or MCB) and plugged directly into a wall socket at both ends.

Quevelda
Tuning in
Message 18 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Thank you. I will investigate this further.
0 Kudos
Quevelda
Tuning in
Message 19 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hello everyone

So after speaking with Netgear technical team I came to the conclusion that I must ditch the old TP Link power line and invest in the following to get good connection downstairs.

https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-range-extenders/EX8000.aspx

Let’s hope it does the trick for downstairs.  Upstairs in all rooms I get 500mbps wireless. No need for Ethernet connections. Fingers crossed. I will share my experience with you all in due course.