Menu
Quevelda
Tuning in
Message 1 of 19
Flag for a moderator

M500 a huge disappointment - New Customer

I am a new customer.  I was promised great speed and service when I signed up in Aug 2020 by the salesman (he certainly had the gift of the gab!!).  Anyway eventually the router Hub 3 was installed yesterday by the engineer who was in a rush to finish.  He installed the router on the 1st floor saying that this should ensure coverage evenly throughout the house.  He didn't bother checking the speed.  So when I used speedtest.net to check the speed, I got near enough 500mbps when I was standing next to the router and used my iphone and ipad.  At home we don't have any computers with ethernet ports.  So I then checked in the loft rooms on the second floor and the signal on iphone and ipad dropped to around 200mbps.  Then I did the same test in the ground floor rooms and got 4mbps or no WIFI Internet Connection at all!!!!!!!!!

The engineer said I need the Virgin Boosters which I later find out is merely a powerlink.  The community doesn't seem to hold the Hub 3 or the Boosters in high regard.  So I will get the boosters on Tuesday/Wednesday but not hoping a great deal at all.

I have reset the Hub 3 today - alas to no avail.  Tried to talk to technical support and have been waiting and listening to music on a loop for the last 30 mins!!

I note that community participants are ALL suggesting that a mesh router is needed and the best is TPLink Deco M9 Plus - but that costs another £330.  Surely there must be a better solution?  Any guidance or help would be appreciated

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Re: M500 a huge disappointment - New Customer

Forget Wi-Fi speeds until you have determined the status of the WAN connection.

What speed do you get at >> speedtest.net << with a direct connection using a Cat 5E/6 cable between the Hub in Router Mode and a 1Gbs capable Pc/Mac/Chromebook and no other devices connected ?

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
Quevelda
Tuning in
Message 3 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Dear Mike

' unfortunately I don’t have any computers in the house that has Ethernet ports to enable me to directly  connect to Hub 3.  I can only connect my MacBook, iPhone, and iPad to the router using WiFi. My main issue is very poor connection in the whole of the ground floor. I don’t understand other than to accept that the router is rubbish and have to install a mesh router. If so which one would ensure the speeds that I should get in a stable manner. But why should I have to spend more money on top of the monthly cost that I am paying to VM?  

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Wi-Fi is the poor relation when it comes to LAN connectiv...

Wi-Fi is the poor relation when it comes to LAN connectivity and in ALL cases ethernet cables give a better connection.

You can get USB to ethernet adaptors from all the major online retailers and they are a very handy piece of equipment along with a decent length of Cat 6 cable especially for times like this.

As for Wi-Fi not being very good on the ground floor of your property, there are scores of reasons why this could be the case from construction of the walls, central hearing radiators, water pipes, electrical cables, other electronic devices, next doors burglar alarm, microwaves, baby monitors etc. etc.

The simplest way to overcome these problem areas is to use a more powerful Wi-Fi  broadcast.

Another method is to remove all the internal walls, electronic and electrical devices, metallic pipes and conduits and wrap the whole building in a thick lead shield, then you will have a good chance of getting decent Wi-Fi from a VM Hub.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
Quevelda
Tuning in
Message 5 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wi-Fi is the poor relation when it comes to LAN connectiv...

Thanks Mike. I understand. Given that I can’t do any of the structural changes to the house, would you be able to recommend a good WiFi router or mesh router that I could install to provide stable high (even if not 500mbps) speeds throughout my large house, please?

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Only you know the ...

Budget,

Environment,

Workload the device will have to support.

Have a read of online PC and Networking mags to get an idea.

Have a look at Mesh Systems, they seem to be in fashion at the moment but, stay clear of the 'Own Brands' (Amazon, Google etc) they are cheap for a reason.

0 Kudos
Quevelda
Tuning in
Message 7 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Mike. I did do a lot reading about mesh routers and came to the conclusion that TP Link Deco M9 Plus 3 pack strategically placed around the house may be the best option albeit it costs £330.  But thought I would ask you given your extensive experience. 

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 19
Flag for a moderator

One thing to remember with after market kit is that it can be used on any ISP just about anywhere in the world and will last for years to come.

I have never used a Mesh System, I have a Netgear Nighthawk R8000P Router and it does a perfect job in my big ex farmhouse with very thick stone external walls, internal brick walls, large chimney breasts and Victorian plumbing.

I run an ethernet cable from my Hub 3 (in Modem Mode) to the Netgear Router, from there to a couple of switches and then out to 5x PCs, 1x TV & 3x V6 TV Boxes.

The Wi-Fi from the Netgear services 4x Phones, 2x Tablets & 2x Laptops.

2nc

Quevelda
Tuning in
Message 9 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Mike. That’s great advice. This is your Netgear Nighthawk R8000P Router.  Great reviews.  I am going to get this and forget my initial suggestion.  I will let you know next week how I get on.  

Quevelda_0-1602977862676.jpeg

0 Kudos
Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 19
Flag for a moderator

@Quevelda wrote:

Dear Mike

' unfortunately I don’t have any computers in the house that has Ethernet ports to enable me to directly  connect to Hub 3.  I can only connect my MacBook, iPhone, and iPad to the router using WiFi. <snip> 

I would suggest you get a USB Ethernet adaptor for the MacBook as a standby in case you lose WiFi. They are not expensive and will help any future troubleshooting as VM will not take WiFi speedtests results.  They will always request hard wired to the Hub. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos