Menu
MGenovese
Tuning in
Message 1 of 28
Flag for a moderator

M500 - Slow speed soon after upgrading from M350

Hi all,

As the subject says, today I upgraded from 350 to 500 Mbps connection, I did some speed tests before hand from a wired PC with a 1Gbps network interface, the speed test were done on speedtest.net as well as the Ofcom official speed test site, which can be found "https://checker.ofcom.org.uk/broadband-test", and I was receiving speed results of over 366 Mbps down, and 37 Mbps up, then I rebooted the Virgin Media hub, once it booted back up I checked if the settings for the new download speed had applied, and it seems that they did, new configuration under the info setting of the device shows "max traffic rate: 575000000" down, at this point I loaded the speed test sites again, and have done several tests on both sites, without changing any other settings of hardware or software (PC or hub), and I am now lucky to see 250 Mbps, but average 100 Mbps.

As I said the PC is wired to a 1 Gbps network interface, and with the current setup and wires I was receiving 366 Mbps before I rebooted the hub, and the new download settings were applied, so the problem is not on my side.

This upgrade was chosen following a complaint I had with Virgin Media in regards to a pricing issue, however, I didn't have a speed issue or any other technical faults, other then the fact that the 5 GHz WIFI does drop randomly, however, I have read that this is a known Virgin Media hub issue, and that they don't seem to want to acknowledge its existence, or fix it, and to be honest, I can't be bother to argue with them, I can can connect my own WIFI access point to the hub and move on with it, but NOW I dont even get the speed I pay for to the hub, and that IS a problem that I wont ignore at £48 per month!

If someone can help me here within 24 hours good, else I have the direct number of the executive team, and tomorrow I will back on the phone with them...

Thanks

Mr MG!   

0 Kudos
jhuk
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Re: M500 - Slow speed soon after upgrading from M350

There is already more than one thread on this very same topic (I know because I replied to one as I am in the same boat).

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 28
Flag for a moderator

A mod will reply when they can - could be a day, 2 or 5 or more.

And there’s no number for the executive team. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
MGenovese
Tuning in
Message 4 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Dear "Gary_dexter", thank you for your reply, but don't tell me there is no number for the executive team, as I have been given one today in a text from them, and used it two times to speak to a particular member of staff in the executive team, as for the issue itself, I don't pay £46 a month to wait up to 5 days to a response, if I don't receive the speed advertised, VM is not keeping up their side of the contract, and since this upgrade was already an agreement in an attempt to resolve a complaint, so it doesn't really look good for VM right now...

Thanks again

0 Kudos
pgould1972
Dialled in
Message 5 of 28
Flag for a moderator

I've posted as well. I suspect that the hub 3 isn't up to the job.

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 28
Flag for a moderator

@pgould1972 wrote:

I've posted as well. I suspect that the hub 3 isn't up to the job.

The hub 3 is more than capable of delivering 500Mbps over a wired connection

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 28
Flag for a moderator

@MGenovese wrote:

Dear "Gary_dexter", thank you for your reply, but don't tell me there is no number for the executive team, as I have been given one today in a text from them, and used it two times to speak to a particular member of staff in the executive team, as for the issue itself, I don't pay £46 a month to wait up to 5 days to a response, if I don't receive the speed advertised, VM is not keeping up their side of the contract, and since this upgrade was already an agreement in an attempt to resolve a complaint, so it doesn't really look good for VM right now...

Thanks again

Correct - you pay for upto speeds. Not bang on advertised speeds, unless you're testing with a wired connection of course.

Have you tried a 60 second pinhole reset on the hub?

Also this isn't a hotline for speaking for Virgin Media - this is a community forum, so the mods will take as long as neccessary to respond to threads.

If you want assistance here, posting some logs from the hub would help speed the resolution along.

0 Kudos
MGenovese
Tuning in
Message 8 of 28
Flag for a moderator

@gary_dexter wrote:

@MGenovese wrote:

Thanks again

Correct - you pay for upto speeds. Not bang on advertised speeds, unless you're testing with a wired connection of course.

Have you tried a 60 second pinhole reset on the hub?

Also this isn't a hotline for speaking for Virgin Media - this is a community forum, so the mods will take as long as neccessary to respond to threads.

If you want assistance here, posting some logs from the hub would help speed the resolution along.

Good morning, if you read my message fully, you'd see that I stated that the connection to the PC which I am using to test with is wired, with a 1Gbps network interface, NIC, or however you want to refer to it, this was measuring over 350 Mbps when it was on the 350 package, up to half an hour before the modem was rebooted, and the new settings had take place.

You are the second person on a forum/group in the last 24 hours to take the side of the company instead of the customer, and as I said to the other person, they wouldn't take your side trust me, at least I know why am here, and don't pretent to be in love with Virgin Media, I am here because the British government has allowed Virgin Media to take over Teliwest Bluyonder, and before that, it has allowed for Teliwest and Bluyonder to merge, causing us to be forced to take Virgin Media's crap as they are the only company to offer a cable Internet service nationwide at the moment, if they stepped in, like they did with the Sainsbury ASDA merge recently, which wasn't allowed, because of unfair competition, I probably wouldn't be here, as I would have a chance to chose between cable providers, and probably most of you wouldn't be here, as Virgin Media wouldn't have such a careless attitude in fixing problems, and providing a decent service would be required to retain customers, and not just a "claim" of faster speeds, maybe they should be forced to share their network, just like the gas end electricity grid does, so that other providers can offer cable services too, and there would soon be some lower prices and better service!

PS: I am an IT engineer, trust me I have done speed test on various different sites and servers, as well as multi large files download test from different servers, and the results are at best half of what am paying for, I have done the pin reset etcetera, oh and as for the reply to the above customer, to whom you state that the Virgin Media hub is more the capable of such speeds, while this seems the case, I wouldn't glorify the device much, as if you read about the device you'll find out that the device is based on an old Linux version, and it has known issues with WiFi 5Ghz regular drops, which Virgin Media is aware of and not doing anything about it, why is this? Because Virgin Media is the onky provider to offer a cable service nationwide, and make such speed claims, that that's all they need to attract the customers to them, the rest doesn't matter, once you signed the virtual dotted lines, which nowadays is a recorded phone call, and not even a full contract, you are on board with, and it doesn't matter if the service you actually receive is half then what you pay, or if your WiFi drops when you most need it, because they got you now...

So let's be clear, I am here for the claimed speed and that's all, and this is probably the same for 90% of the customers

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 9 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Could you access your router using http://192.168.0.1/ . Don't log in, select the 'Check Router Status' option and paste your 'Downstream', 'Upstream', and 'Network Log' tabs?

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 28
Flag for a moderator

No disrespect, but being an "IT Engineer" doesn't make you a Network Engineer, especially if all you've done is the "basics" such as running speedtests and downloading large files and calculating download speeds vs time to download.

And I assume you mean TeleWest and BlueYonder, not Teliwest and Bluyonder?

Anyways, have you tried the pinhole reset?

Have you tried testing with a different device and a different cable on said devices?

Is the hub in Router Mode or Modem Mode?

Are you wired direct to the Hub or via a switch or powerline plug?

Have you tried putting the hub into Modem Mode and testing with one device connected whilst in this mode?

0 Kudos