Menu
jamieewart
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

M500 Slow Speed 43Mb - 70Mb

Hi,

Wondering if someone in technical support can help me out.

I upgraded from M200 to an OOMPH package with M500 and my internet speeds have got slower.

today i managed 43.3Mb and then 73.5Mb when using speedtest.net.

I have complained to everyone including the CEO but no one is helping me out.

I have requested a HUB 4 to see if that helps as they can bond more channels but again no help what so ever.

I have ran tests with the modem in modem mode, on WI-FI, with direct connection to both PC and MAC and my speeds are always rubbish.

I have reset the hub and tried various things but with no joy

IMG_3818.PNGIMG_3819.PNG

Can anyone from technical help me out?

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: M500 Slow Speed 43Mb - 70Mb

Try a 60 second hold pinhole reset first leave it 10 minutes to settle then try again like this.

First thing is to put the Hub into modem mode and connect the pc/laptop with a known good Cat5e or better ethernet cable and boot it into safe + networking mode and try again to your nearest VM server, try with 2 browsers.

report back what that gets

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
jamieewart
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jbrennand,

I am sorry but I have already done what you are suggesting.

Rest the Modem while on the phone to a tech person at virgin, put into modem mode and connected to a PC and the speed was poor.

I was advised that i would receive a phone call back from technical which never happened and eventually having tried the phone, email and live chat i gave up and contacted the CEO by email, which did nothing at all.

I have tried to contact virgin via email, live chat, facebook, twitter and emailing the CEO and no one i helping me out.

I have requested a HUB 4 as they can bond more channels than the hub 3 which should help improve my speed but no on at Virgin wants to help.

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hello

Looking at your screenshots you are testing speed over a wireless connection, I am afraid that due to the nature of wireless you will get varying results, VM will guarantee the connection wired direct to the hub. If you have a computer wired directly to the hub what do you get with speedtest.net.

A hub 4 will only work in areas that currently have 1gbps service as only docsis 3.1 which is required to use the extra channels.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
jamieewart
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi

The speed test pic that you see are taken from an IPhone XS as a quick example of the speeds that i am getting.

I have carried out tests on both a PC and a MAC hard wired to the router while its in modem mode and the speeds are not that much better.

I have tried everything that Virgin have asked me to do and no one will help.

as for the HUB 4 yes its Docsis 3.1 but it is also 3.0 compatible and could increase my speed as it can bond more channels

"VM intended to make their latest HUB 4.0, which is also backwards compatible with their old EuroDOCSIS 3.0 network, more widely available to those on slower packages"

0 Kudos
Megan_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jamieewart,

Thanks for using the forums to get this issue looked into with your internet connection, I am sorry its frustrating you.
I just need to ask a few questions to get to the bottom of this for you - 
•    When the internet drops out, do all connections disconnect all the time? Or do some, maybe wired devices, stay connected?
•    When the internet drops out, do any indicator lights show on the HUB?
•    Also, can you do a reboot of your HUB at the back of the box (not the mains) and set up a BMQ test over the next 24 hours so we can       visually see whats going on.
•    I also have a link here that I think are really helpful in this situation - intermittent connection issues
Let me know the answers to all these questions and follow the advice on that link to see if it helps 🙂
Thanks,
Megan_L

0 Kudos