Hey all; Last week I moved to Virgin and got the M500 package. Unfortunately I'm stuck in limbo between 60-120Mbps speeds, on both direct Ethernet connection and WiFi.
I've directly used an Ethernet (Cat6e and Cat6) cable to 2 devices that support 1-2Gbps speeds, averaging around 80 - 120Mbps speeds.
Here's where it's a little odd, I've used 2 mobile devices connected via WiFi and I've had weird spikes from 60 - 100Mbps and on the odd occasion jumps to 200Mbps and It'll go back to average. I've tried a hard reset (Pinhole), and only connected 1 device directly. no change.
Win10 Laptop, other is Windows 7 Desktop; both with correct settings in the Adapter/Network configs. Windows 7 is an Intel Ethernet Connection capable of 1Gbps, Win10 is in a similar position.
I've tried speed-testing various times through the day/night even at 1AM in the morning. best I got was 124-130Mbps.
Unfortunately I let the engineer who fitted this last week aware that I was only getting 1/3rd of the minimum spec speeds, but he didn't seem experienced enough to understand why all devices (Including his) were getting varied speeds below min, on his end it was fine though. In the end we decided that we'd just leave it for a week and hope that it rectifies itself.