Menu
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 11 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Re: M500 Broadband very slow. Router shows critical no ranging response errors

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
JimboSails
On our wavelength
Message 12 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Those settings are unavailable; presumably because I’m in modem mode. I can only access the logs. 

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 13 of 24
Flag for a moderator

@JimboSails wrote:

We've been Virgin Media customers for a while and upgraded to M500 mid Lockdown 1.0. Initially we were getting well in excess of 500mbps, wirelessly on 5G and wired. 

Now, we are seeing speeds more like 50 - 90mbps (although upload remains good at 40mbps). The internet also regularly drops mid 'zoom' call, and we tend to get ping results from speedtest of around 15ms even on wired (we have seen these fall on wired previously). 

The Hub is operating in Modem Mode, and is connected to a Nightgear R8000P router. 

Logs to follow.

@MikeRobbo wrote:

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 14 of 24
Flag for a moderator

The IP Address for the Netgear is probably 192.168.1.1

0 Kudos
JimboSails
On our wavelength
Message 15 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Apologies Mike - I popped out for a cycle. I've just enabled ping on the Nighthawk. 

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 16 of 24
Flag for a moderator

@JimboSails wrote:

Apologies Mike - I popped out for a cycle. I've just enabled ping on the Nighthawk. 

Your >> BQM << will need a few more hours, preferably 24 to show any kind of trend.

0 Kudos
Andruser
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 17 of 24
Flag for a moderator

And check the external IP address that the BQM is using is correct.  When you swap the hub from router mode to modem mode you'll usually get a different external IP, and if you swap back again there's no guarantee that the previous IP address will be reallocated to you 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
JimboSails
On our wavelength
Message 18 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Thanks both. The IP address is correct, and the graph is starting to pick up data. 

let’s see what it shows over 24hrs I guess!

0 Kudos
JimboSails
On our wavelength
Message 19 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Morning all!

A speed test this morning puts me at 90mbps again - it's almost as though it's been throttled, as it's mostly quite stable at that speed. A bit galling when I'm paying for 500mbps. 

To my untrained eye the BQM shows a number of small latency spikes, but nothing else really of significance. 

Any suggestions on next steps to get my speed and stability back would be appreciated. 

Thanks!

Jim

0 Kudos
JimboSails
On our wavelength
Message 20 of 24
Flag for a moderator

BQM is still running and showing some massive latency spikes. 

I'm wondering if I should call Virgin Media directly (usually a frustrating experience) to diagnose?

0 Kudos