Menu
kishore
Tuning in
Message 1 of 20
Flag for a moderator

M350 slow via ethernet

So two weeks ago I upgraded to m350

I was using the hub 3.0 in modem mode. So was using my own router. Was getting about 150mbs via the ethernet. Ran several speedtests same results. Checked my Ethernet connection speed which was 1gbps so that was not the issue.

Then I decided to put the hub 3.0 in router mode. To check if my router was the issue via ethernet.

And guess what I got the same results via ethernet from the hub to my laptop. 150mbps. So there's definitely something wrong with the ethernet ports on the super hub 3.0

I checked the speed connected to the hub via WiFi on the 5ghz and got speeds around 368mbps on my mobile phone speed test. 

So can someone from the virgin media team help me figure out why via ethernet I'm getting really poor speeds and not the maximum speeds

Thanks

Kishore

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Re: M350 slow via ethernet

If you think that you have a BB speed problem, then to check the speeds coming in to your Hub properly, and whether they match what you should be getting, you cannot rely on wifi tests, - no BB supplier guarantees those - only speeds "TO" the Hub are guaranteed. So, you need to test speeds directly over a NEW ethernet cable (Cat5e/6 or better) connection - to a bona fide GB enabled computer/laptop (not one with a 10/100 NIC card), which has the up to date drivers AND with the Hub put into modem mode (see VM wbsite for the "how to do that"). Test at speedtest.net to your nearest VM server - try 2 different browsers as well.

If they are still low – boot the device into safe+networking mode and try again.

Report back what that gets . There are many posts on here where unknown software or other connected devices are limiting speeds on tests and this ensures that they are out of the equation and you get a true speed reading

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
kishore
Tuning in
Message 3 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Thanks john for your reply

I'm in modem mode.

When I was on the m200 service no issues with modem mode. Full speed via ethernet cable and wifi. And I'm using a cat7 cable..overkill I know. 

My laptop NIC is 10/100/1000. The drivers are upto date. Still same results.

I have two laptops one on windows 10 and the other one on windows 7.

The windows 7 is a fresh build. With no antivirus software on it

Still Getting the same results. In safe mode windows 7

Windows 10 safe mode same results 

Tests done via chrome and edge browsers

Just be clear the download speeds are the issue. Upload speeds are always maxing out

0 Kudos
jhuk
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Is your NIC actually stating it is currently set to 1000Mb/s in the Device Manager?

0 Kudos
carl_pearce
Superstar
Message 5 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Sounds like a very odd issue!

If you log into your router and select 'Connected Devices' what speed do your ethernet devices display as?

0 Kudos
kishore
Tuning in
Message 6 of 20
Flag for a moderator

• Thanks guys

Yes my device shows its connected speed at 1.0gbps

And my router shows the lan1 connection speed at 1000M/full

Screenshot_20200627-214358.jpg

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Try a different cable?

Different laptop?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
kishore
Tuning in
Message 8 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply Gary

I've already tried on another laptop. Tried different cable. Same results. Had no issue when I was on the m200 virgin service. The issue seems to occur on the m350 service. 

0 Kudos
kishore
Tuning in
Message 9 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Carl and jhuk

My device shows I'm connected at speed 1.0gbps

My router shows lan1 connected at 1000M/full

Tried to post image but doesn't show up.

Thanks

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Remove the router and connect direct to the hub (whilst in Modem Mode still).

What speeds do you get then?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos