Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

M350 package, what speeds to expect?

I'm currently getting 200Mpbs when on the 5ghz wifi network and sitting next to the router. I'm on the M350 package, so should I be getting more speed?

Interestingly, when connected to my access point, which is wired to the router, I get 250Mpbs, so an 50Mbps increase. Meaning some of my issue relates to positioning of the router. But 250Mbps is still less than my actual connection of 350 - unless I shouldn't expect to reach the max theoretical speed? Is there a best time of day to test your max speed?

The 'read before posting' article suggested you need the router status upstream, downstream and network logs. So there are here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VGICNATcoPZf4ETss2HQeQ9We-LQwHb_jV5JEZWtnFM/edit?usp=sharing

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: M350 package, what speeds to expect?

Hello

Wireless connections can be very hot and miss due to many things causing interference, what speed do you get with a device wired direct to the hub using Cat 5e cable or above.

I have looked at your stats, one suggestion would be to go into the logs and remove the MAC address as this is personal information, and should not be  posted on an open forum.

You are getting quite a number of post RS errors these are errors that the hub couldn't fix, and can be caused by noise on the line, so in this case I would go around and make sure that all coaxial connections to all VM equipment are finger tight, once done power off hub for 30 secs and then back on.

If your post RS errors keep rising at a large rate then the VM staff will need to check backend.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the lightning quick reply. I removed the MAC addresses. I'll check the coax connections and test a connection wired directly to the router.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

In addition to the error counts (which might just be caused by an extended power-on time for the hub, or could be more significant), your upstream channels are all running at 16 QAM, and that's normally a sign of trouble because mostly we expect  all four channels running at 64 QAM. 

See what they're running at after a reboot.  In my view weekly reboots are a good thing for the hub, in fact mine's usually on an overnight timer so gets a daily reboot.

In terms of speeds you should expect, how long is a piece of string?  For an ethernet connected device on a good cable connection, you should see every megabit you're paying for, consistently.  For wifi, depends on the device, the wifi connection with the hub, and the hub settings.  You might find you get better wifi speeds over 5 GHz if you go into the hub's settings, and set the 5 GHz channel width to 20/40/80 MHz, and then "Apply changes".  Whilst you're in settings, you might want to turn off the Guest network if you don't use that, turn off automatic optimisation (some devices don't like that), and give your 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands different names (again, some devices don't like having the same name for different bands).

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks everyone for their helpful answers.We actually renewed with Virgin this weekend and downgraded to 200mb (we don't really need 350...). It gave me the opportunity to check all the coax cables and reboot the router.

I'm not sure what resolved the issue, but I'm now getting over the expected speed on both wired and wifi connections.

0 Kudos