Menu
shackattack22
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

M350 much slower than advised

I recently upgraded from M200 to M350 believing that it would improve my experience but I don't seem to be getting the expected speeds. I have tried speedtests over a number of different days and time of days. Download speeds have varied between 70 to 86Mbps with upload consistently at around 35Mbps. The tests were all done with my PC plugged directly into my Hub3 and with no other equipment in the house being connected. I have tried all the self help guidance on the Virgin website (check cables, switch equipment on/off, reset button....) but this has made no difference.

I have tried telephoning the help number over different days but either get the "we're sorry all out team are busy......" message or get redirected to the webtools again, So frustrating!!!

Any suggestions?

catyork
Joining in
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: M350 much slower than advised

I am having the same problem. Upgraded from 100 to 350 and my speeds are the same. Don't particularly like paying for a service that i am not getting. Put in a complaint and 10 days later i am still waiting for a response.

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@shackattack22 wrote:

I recently upgraded from M200 to M350 believing that it would improve my experience but I don't seem to be getting the expected speeds. I have tried speedtests over a number of different days and time of days. Download speeds have varied between 70 to 86Mbps with upload consistently at around 35Mbps. The tests were all done with my PC plugged directly into my Hub3 and with no other equipment in the house being connected. I have tried all the self help guidance on the Virgin website (check cables, switch equipment on/off, reset button....) but this has made no difference.

I have tried telephoning the help number over different days but either get the "we're sorry all out team are busy......" message or get redirected to the webtools again, So frustrating!!!

Any suggestions?

what spec is the ethernet cable connecting the PC to the hub? (CAT5 / CAT5e / CAT6 etc..)

When connected, what speed is your PC reporting the connection as (100mbps, 1gbps etc..) - you could also find this out from the "connected devices" section of the hub management pages..

0 Kudos
shackattack22
Tuning in
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply and for the warning that you aren't getting any helpful support. Noted

0 Kudos
shackattack22
Tuning in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for the reply, much appreciated. The cable connecting my PC to the HUB3 is Cat5e. Looking at the Ethernet Status in Network & sharing centre I can see the speed is stated as 100Mbps.

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@shackattack22 wrote:

Thank you for the reply, much appreciated. The cable connecting my PC to the HUB3 is Cat5e. Looking at the Ethernet Status in Network & sharing centre I can see the speed is stated as 100Mbps.

well, that explains why you're not getting anything faster over the cable..

might be that the cable is old/dodgy - do you have a different one that you can test with?

is the NIC in the PC a 1gbps capable card? 

0 Kudos
shackattack22
Tuning in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Ah okay, so the NIC seems to be the limiting factor. Using another PC with 1000Mbps and connecting with a cat5e I get around 277Mbps download. 
That said, it drops back down to 80 Mbps if I use WiFi even when directly next to the hub

0 Kudos
shk53
Tuning in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

From what you've said its not the Cat5e cable, as that can go to 1000Mbps, it will be the network controller limiting the speed to 100Mbps.

shackattack22
Tuning in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks. That seems to have resolved it. Just need to get a WiFi booster now

0 Kudos
shackattack22
Tuning in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi. I’ve managed to find the issue with my problem. You may want to read through the messages to see if it helps with your issue as well. 
Basically the PC that I was using to test the speed didn’t have to capacity to go above 100Mbps due to the NIC card limit. When I used a newer computer with NIC capable of 1000Mbps and used a cat5e cable into the hub the speed was around 280mbps so pretty much in line with what I had hoped for. I do still have an issue with speed with WiFi as speed drops below 100Mbps then so I need to get a booster. 
I hope this helps

0 Kudos