Menu
djr_uk
Dialled in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

M350 internet....free upgrade coming?

Hi all,

My internet is tremendous and i'm on the M350 package. I'm getting 320mpbs currently so very happy! i've seen however that people are getting free upgrades with their internet speed? (a post in january) i assume i'm not part of that? 

Also it says i can't upgrade my internet speed any further at the moment and i'm on the maximum. When Gig 1 arrives in my area will i need to pay more for it or will my package just change? Little bit confused thats all! I'm on the XL package (the old name for it i think...maximum everything basically)

0 Kudos
newapollo
Hero
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: M350 internet....free upgrade coming?

Hi djr_uk,

If Gig1 is available in your area then you would have to pay the extra for the speed increase.

The only current free speed upgrades are for those on the Ultimate Oomph package, where if they are on a 500Mbps connection then it will be increased to 600Mbps (some area can only currently receive 300Mbps) which is being rolled out in stages. The speed upgrade (providing your area is capable) will be completed by 31st March 2021.

The old XL package is no longer sold, you should try speaking to regrades and ask about the Ultimate Oomph package, it's better than the old XL and you may be able to negotiate a better deal.

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali
0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

You do realise that you'll be paying more for Gig 1, you'll barely see any difference in real world use (the ONLY situation where you would notice would be if you currently spend a lot of time watching download progress bars for huge downloads), and you'd be exposing yourself to a service that, to put it politely is suffering some teething troubles with both the Hub 4 and the actual DOCSIS 3.1 connections required to provide gigabit? 

By all means, it's your money, and if you want gigabit bragging rights, then fill your boots as soon as it's available.  Progress is always enabled by the risk taking open-walleted early adopters, and that could be you.  But if you're paying (say) £7 a month for the higher speed, in the 18 month contract that's the same sum you could instead spend on a decent mesh wifi system that would wide the floor with the cheap router built into the Hub 4. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Buffer6
Hero
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi all,

My internet is tremendous and i'm on the M350 package. I'm getting 320mpbs currently so very happy! i've seen however that people are getting free upgrades with their internet speed? (a post in january) i assume i'm not part of that? 

Also it says i can't upgrade my internet speed any further at the moment and i'm on the maximum. When Gig 1 arrives in my area will i need to pay more for it or will my package just change? Little bit confused thats all! I'm on the XL package (the old name for it i think...maximum everything basically)

It depends on which part of the country you're in. If you are lucky enough to be in Southampton, a new provider is starting up

and will supply 900Mbps up and down for £25 per month for 18months unlimited broadband rising to £29 per month after that

https://www.toob.co.uk/southampton/ 

We just need to get more investment to get it everywhere,  Methinks It's down the road somewhere😎 LoL

0 Kudos
djr_uk
Dialled in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

cheers for this. i need to discuss my package as i'm out of contract at the moment finding it hellish getting through currently under the current circumstances. used the text number too but havent had a reply and i sent my first text about 3 months ago haha

0 Kudos
newapollo
Hero
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi again djr_uk,

Your best bet is to call first thing on a morning as it's least busy, they open at 8am.

Call 150 from a Virgin landline, or 0345 454 1111, options 1,1 and 4 (Changes to your package) but best to call at 8am to avoid call queues

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali
0 Kudos