Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

M350 fibre broadband

Hi

I have the highest possible broadband package (Without TV and Phone), it's M350

Virgin advertises it to have at 362Mbps and promises a minimum speed of 181Mbps  (see attached)

My speed has never gone above 90Mbps even when wired directly to the router. On Wifi, I get around 57Mbps at best and upstairs (2nd floor) it goes as low as 3 Mbps at times inspite of 3 tp-link wifi boosters.  This can not be good enough surely !!

Every time I call Virgin, they run me through tests and get me to reset the hub but nothing happens..  It is so frustrating when I am upstairs in my bedroom trying to use a tablet or watch netflix, it buffers on and off then I just give up and switch the tv off.. 

How can I sort this out and who should I complain to? Anyone else had this issue here? How did you sort it out? 

Please help with any suggestions or advice.

Thanks.2019-12-30 (2)_LI.jpg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: M350 fibre broadband

forget wireless what speeds do you get wired with a gigabit network card. The minimum speeds are only garanteed to the hub. Wireless is not supported

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

When I plug an ethernet cable between Router and my laptop then run a broadband speed checker, I get this:

Ping  26 ms

Download 90.17 (at best)

Upload   37.15 (at best)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

what network card is in the laptop. that is the expected speed if you have a 100mbps network card

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@apcyberax  I have no idea how to know my network card speed, I am not very savvy with these things. My laptop is an MSI i7 with a 16 gb ram and is only a year or so old so I assume it has a fairly decent network card.. But my question remains the same about the speed that an M350 package with Virgin? How else can I get the correct speed checked? Should Virgin help me better than asking me to keep resetting the hub and going nowhere?  and how can I get better wifi in my bedroom? 

Cheers for your help.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@mus wrote:

@apcyberax  I have no idea how to know my network card speed, I am not very savvy with these things. My laptop is an MSI i7 with a 16 gb ram and is only a year or so old

Model of laptop.

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I did some research and learned to check my network card speed and it is 1.0 Gbps  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Any ideas anyone?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@mus wrote:
Any ideas anyone?

Try a different Ethernet cable, as a damaged cable or one that is not certified for speeds above 100Mbs can produce the results you are seeing.  It should be at least a Cat 5e but ideally a Cat 6 or 7 Ethernet cable.

Old or faulty Ethernet drivers can also slow down connections.

Check for any MSI software that maybe throttling the Ethernet speed.

My setup: V6 TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks everyone for your advice.

It seems to have sorted itself out or perhaps Virgin tweaked something from their end..

Nonetheless, speed has picked up and wifi seems much better than it had been.

So all is well, at least  for now anyway.

Cheers everyone