Menu
RobVMForum
Tuning in
Message 1 of 22
Flag for a moderator

M350 Fibre - Getting 130Mb

I found only 120-Mb~130Mb on all speed test sites a few weeks ago but gave it some time to be resolved in case there was a problem with the street cabinet, or headend etc.

Prior to this I was consistently getting something like 362Mb download and good upload.

I have tried testing at all hours of the night, and get the same results which leads me to think it's not an over-subscription problem. I would have noticed the speed changing gradually, not suddenly dropping to a third.

I have a decent Cicso-RV320 router, I have tried resetting things, using modem only mode. All connections are network cable, no WiFi in use, tested with multiple PCs on different ports, only using one PC at a time.

Power levels all between -1dBmV and 1.5dBmV, all channels locked.

I get the feeling that this is a problem at VM's end because the speed tests (various servers and sites) are suspiciously the same, every attempt, and time of the day. I don't want to be pay for a third of the service!

Thanks,

Rob

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Re: M350 Fibre - Getting 130Mb

Try a direct connection to the router only without your stuff to see if it's a virgin issue or not. 

0 Kudos
RobVMForum
Tuning in
Message 3 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Thanks jb66, but that's something I've already tried.

I'm no stranger to IT equipment, although it's not my job. I'm awaiting some replies from members and moderators of a self-help technology forum, I'm one of the administrators of that forum.

If everybody I ask local speeds have dropped, it must be something at VM's end.

I'll see what others say.

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Hello

Also one thing you can do is too signup at https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality and setup a broadband quality monitor which will keep an eye on you connection by sending a small amount of data to the hub asking if it still on.

What you have stated could also be down to congestion.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
RobVMForum
Tuning in
Message 5 of 22
Flag for a moderator

As I mentioned above: I have conducted speed tests at random times, like 4am etc. and there is no difference to any other time, or day. I know of the software you mention DJ_Shadow1966, but there is no way I was just hitting the congested times when I'm testing, look at my post times.

I'm working from home at the moment, the speed doesn't bother me at 120Mb, it's well below the guaranteed rate though. Which I need to bring up with Virgin Media.

I can't find the "Message" box link, which they advertise, and would be the easiest form of communication for me, like text. Although I'll get "We'll send an engineer round...". I don't want that and soon I won't want this service as I believe it is capped to a much lower guaranteed speed than I am paying for.

Ombudsman time coming up....

0 Kudos
RobVMForum
Tuning in
Message 6 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Indian call centre, when I called that were asking me to do the same tests I have already run. Or go into modem only mode (which I use anyway) etc. I've done these things.

I said no, I can't walk on an ankle at the moment (true).

This is a farce and needs to be reported to the ombudsman, which I will do when I find the correct details.

The connection speed I have, changed abruptly, and is a third of advertised, and these is a "guaranteed" VM speed (millions of clauses), which I don't get either. This would be a case, in my belief, as it is demonstrably this low speed constantly.

Rob

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 22
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hello

I have escalated to the VM forum staff members and somebody will be along to have a look.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Hi Rob,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community and a warm welcome to you, I am sorry to hear you are having issues with your WiFi speeds .

So I can help further I will send you an invite into a private chat, please click on the purple envelope to accept.

Regards

Paul.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 9 of 22
Flag for a moderator

We should at least check the router stats.

Could you access your router using http://192.168.100.1/ . Don't log in, select the 'Check Router Status', or 'Router Status', option and paste your 'Downstream', 'Upstream', and 'Network Log' tabs?

We can check from the stats if there is a local issue with your connection

0 Kudos
RobVMForum
Tuning in
Message 10 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Thanks carl_pearce, but I won't bore people with them as I can interpret them myself. Upstream and Downstream are normal, the logs aren't too interesting as I reset the modem recently. Like I mentioned, nothing has changed at my end.

The reason I'm reaching out for help is that I believe that the problem isn't at my end.

Some of my experience:

Computers (first proper one being PII 400, was into Amigas before) and networks since 1997, always been a sideline as I've worked in electronics since the same date.

Working as electronics R&D engineer since 2007 at a household name company, developed network peripherals.

The reason I'm concerned about this is that the change was abrupt. 360Mb to 130Mb just like that? No. Networks don't do that.

Next stop is an official complaint.

0 Kudos