Menu
Scotty2Ts
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

M350 Broadband. Only achieves 80Mbps download

Called Virgin three times now, only to be told I have to go buy a laptop with a GigaByte NIC network card to see the true speed of my broadband. What a load of rubbish!

Yes, like everybody else here, tried speedtest.net.

I have reset the router, disabled and entered modem mode, disconnected everything from the router, bla bla bla. Reset to factory...….. Still 80Mbps.

I have only been a customer for two weeks but am getting really hacked off.

How do I sort this out???

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: M350 Broadband. Only achieves 80Mbps download

What is the spec of the network card you’re using then? And the network cable?

Speeds should be measured when wired not wireless as well. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Scotty2Ts
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply. All of my testing has been done hardwired using a CAT6 patch lead from the laptop to the Virgin router and with WIFI off.

All I can see under Device Manger>Network Adapters> are WAN miniport or Realtech USB Gbe.

I have tried several different laptops and cant see any of them having a GigaByte NIC card?

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

What colour are the lights on the network ports flashing?

Another thing to check is to go into Control Panel, Network and Sharing Center, double click the LAN connection and check the link speed. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
0 Kudos
SParkinson1
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

i think you will see that there are many people having speed issues and are getting fobbed off with your wifi is the problem, pc issues, walls are too thick blah, blah.

I have been a virgin customer for 20 years and never had any issues.

It started at the same time as they upgraded the service from 30mbs to 100mbs and may as well be on dial up modem. 

Seriously looking to go elsewhere as they are not taking it serious at all and passing the buck back on to us!!!

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Per your other post, are your speeds in WiFi or wired where you have issues?

You need to start your own thread by the way...

0 Kudos
VMCopperUser
Trouble shooter
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

If his link speed was only 100 he would still get > 80 on download.

I agree it's worth checking the link speed, what OS version do you have?  If it's Windows 10 just click the start button and type "view your network properties".  There it will show your "Link speed (Receive/Transmit): as either 1000/1000 (Mbps) or whatever it's negotiated at.  As gary says, you can also look at the lights on the port it's attached to.

Any way you could give us the Make and Model of the Laptop?...  How is normal usage on the network?.. I have seen some computers fail on speed testing sites due to software they run (firewall / anti-whatever junk) and a few with other issues.  Tho this is not likely, it's also not impossible.

What speed testing sites are you using, try https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest and see what results it gives.

----
I do not work for VM, but I would. It is just a Job.
Most things I say I make up and sometimes it's useful, don't be mean if it's wrong.
I would also make websites for them, because the job never seems to require the website to work.
Buffer6
Hero
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Log in to your Hub http://192.168.0.1/  and look for connected devices it will tell you the speed of your connection to the Hub it should be 1000 to get speeds over 100Mbps

con speed.jpg

0 Kudos