cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M250 Volt upgrade not giving full speed on 2.4GHz

Solaris_Wave
Joining in

Dear Sir/Madam,

I was recently upgraded to the M250 Volt package as part of an O2 deal, after wanting to switch my mobile phone provider to Virgin. I was told that the speed upgrade would automatically happen on the day and that all I had to do was turn off the router and then back on again. While I have not done this so far, I did notice that my router did turn off my connection and then re-establish it after 10 minutes.

I have my broadband Wi-Fi split to two separately named connections: one for 2.4GHz and one for 5GHz. I performed a wireless speed test on my iPad using the Ookla Speedtest app and also the Speedsmart app. I noticed that my speeds were around 80-90 Mbps. They had actually dropped from 125Mbps that I was recently getting. I then switched over to my 5GHz connection. This speed was up to 250Mbps, as advertised.

I am unable to currently check a wired connection because I do not have a PC at this current moment in time.

Is this normal to see such a lower speed with the 2.4GHz connection? I live in a flat, on my own and with only one connection point. Nobody else shares my connection and when performing the test, had nothing else using the connection. There shouldn't really be any interference and I had my iPad near the router when I tested.

Thank you.

Regards,

Paul

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hello Solaris_Wave

Thanks for posting in regards to your recent Volt speed boost and wireless speeds, we appreciate you raising this via the forums.

From checking, the speeds to the Hub show as averaging 243mbps download and 25mbps upload which is in line with the package you have mentioned. There were brief disconnection earlier in the week but none for the last couple of days.

It can take a couple of days for the speeds to settle down following a change, has this been the case for yourself? The 2.4Ghz frequency tends to cover a wider area but can be slower than the 5Ghz frequency that is stronger but has less range, this may explain the differences in the tests.

Rob

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

Client62
Legend

On 2.4Ghz with the normal 20Mhz of bandwidth 50Mb/s is a good performance.

Solaris_Wave
Joining in

I have read elsewhere that others have had faster speeds with a 2.4GHz connection.

Client62
Legend

How much faster ?

Solaris_Wave
Joining in

I was reading that 100-125Mbps was possible, although I did read other responses saying that the average would be under 100Mbps.

Hello Solaris_Wave

Thanks for posting in regards to your recent Volt speed boost and wireless speeds, we appreciate you raising this via the forums.

From checking, the speeds to the Hub show as averaging 243mbps download and 25mbps upload which is in line with the package you have mentioned. There were brief disconnection earlier in the week but none for the last couple of days.

It can take a couple of days for the speeds to settle down following a change, has this been the case for yourself? The 2.4Ghz frequency tends to cover a wider area but can be slower than the 5Ghz frequency that is stronger but has less range, this may explain the differences in the tests.

Rob

Solaris_Wave
Joining in

Hi Rob,

Apologies for the delay. I tend to get a much faster speed with 5GHz, as stated by multiple people in this thread. 2.4GHz is a lot slower but I can't remember if it used to be slightly faster at 100-115Mbps. I am currently using two different iPads as I don't have a PC at this current moment in time. They tend to randomly pick either 2.4GHz or 5GHz but seem to favour the former. I am not sure why because even though 2.4GHz is supposedly the wider or farther reaching signal, I only live in a small flat, so there should not be much interference.

Good Morning @Solaris_Wave, can you please confirm if you have yourself performed a reboot on the hub since the uplift in speed?

Thanks,

David_Bn

Hi David_Bn,

I haven't rebooted my router since the M250 upgrade. Normally, I would do that but an hour after I signed up for the new package, my router's lights went green and it took roughly 10 minutes to re-establish a connection. It was almost as if I had physically switched it off. Therefore, I assumed that it had carried out the process automatically. Especially, as I was now able to get speeds of 250Mbps on the 5GHz connection. I didn't notice it straight away as the router chose my 2.4GHz connection instead.

Should I still reboot my router? Would that make any difference for the 2.4GHz speed?

Also, for the record, I decided to split my connection speeds to two separate names so I would be able to tell which one was being used.

Regards,

Paul

Joseph_B
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hey @Solaris_Wave,

Thanks for getting back to us, we would still recommend a reboot just to be safe and make sure the Hub has fully processed everything it needed to. The 2.4ghz does have a lower speed threshold than the 5ghz as its more designed for your devices that are further away, it should still hit the speeds you require, we would advise still doing the reboot and then checking on yoru speeds.

Joe