Menu
KeeranWilliams
Joining in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

M200 broadband always running at half speed!

I've recently switched over to Virgin Media for Fibre-to-the-home broadband. 

Started on the M100 package but decided to shift up to M200. Which is advertised at 200mbps. 

Tested over the past few days every hour or so, only getting around 60mbps through Wifi and a maximum of about 90mbps on a wired connection directly in to the Hub 3 using a 1Gbps ethernet cable.

I have only ever once seen it get over 100mbps on the day it was installed. After that it dropped.

The odd thing is that my upload speed is running at the expected 21mbps with every test, that tells me that the issue does not come from my home Wifi/LAN. It seems the WAN speed is being throttled externally for some reason. 

My connection with my previous ISP was running faster than this, even through Wifi as I use a whole home mesh system with LAN speeds of up to 866mbps. I have no Wifi black spots anywhere in the house due to excellent coverage using three mesh nodes. 

I did not have the speed issue before moving to Virgin and I expected my speeds to increase, they have actually decreased and sit at less than 50% of the package speed all the time.

I'm pretty savvy with this stuff. Changed my router settings, DNS server, restarted all my equipment multiple times...but still not luck. 

Called the customer services team and they best the could offer was "We can test it over 30 days and you can put in a complaint"...which is pretty disappointing given that this is my first ever experience on Virgin Media and they've asked if I wanted to make a complaint after just a few days of becoming a customer. 

Could someone from the Virgin team please let me know what can be done to help? Thank you. 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: M200 broadband always running at half speed!

Can you do the test this way...

As you expect >100Mbps then connect a 1GB enabled computer/laptop, with up to date drivers, via a NEW and working Cat5e (or better) ethernet cable, directly to the Hub which you have put into “modem mode” (https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode ). Test speeds at https://speedtest.samknows.com/ - try on 2 different browsers. This ensures that no other devices can be connected to the network that might be affecting speeds - many do !

If they are still low – then boot you device into windows safe+networking mode - this will disable any potentially interfering software - and try again. There are many posts on here where QoS software, unknown/flaky software, old network card drivers, corrupted browsers, bad cables or other connected devices are limiting speeds on tests.

Report back what that gets.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.