Menu
Dawnellie
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

M200 VPN getting 7Mbps!

Hi, currently working at home & my IT dept have asked Virgin have implemented encryption on our connection?

stuck working at home, when I raised the issued off slow speed on the VPN they said” I've seen speed issues similar to yours in which the ISP had done this which caused double encryption while connected to a VPN resulting in major speed loss” 

Can anyone help or give them ideas as they can’t understand why I’m going from 200mbps to 7.

Thanks

D

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: M200 VPN getting 7Mbps!

When not using the VPN, do you get full speeds?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Dawnellie
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Yes it’s a good speed. 

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Maybe your VPN is slowing things down.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

My work VPN is limited to 50Mbps, and it consistently works at this speed.

0 Kudos
Dawnellie
Joining in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Nope I’ve been through work, they have told me VPN would only require at least 15 to 20% of your internet speed for encryption, if it goes beyond that there's a lot of factors to be considered and before they start messing about they wanted me to double check it’s nothing something Virgin is doing first. 

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

If you are running the VM Hub in Router Mode disable the Firewall in the Hub.

If that doesn't work put the VM Hub into Modem Mode.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Dawnellie, thanks for your post and a very warm welcome to you!

Just thought I'd drop in to see if the services are working as expected for you. Have you perhaps discussed this with your workplace? 

Do you experience any slow speed on other devices that don't use the VPN?

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

0 Kudos
Dawnellie
Joining in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

My work place have not had issues with any other  employee using the VPN which is why they asked me to reach out.

The WiFi speed is slower than normal but when the laptop is connected it’s between 169-200mbps. that’s why I switched to being connected thinking that was the issue slow WiFi and then a VPN on top but it’s just as slow connected by Ethernet to the router. 

thanks

Dawn

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

With the VPN on and an ethernet cable connection can you ping the top level domain of the place you are connecting to.

then

Do the same without the VPN.

Post both sets of results - MAKE SURE that you delete your WAN IP from the reports.

0 Kudos