Menu
HowieH
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

M100 upload speed

Every since Virgin carried out planned maintenance work in the WN7 area of Greater Manchester on 18th August, my upload speed has halved (from close to 10 Mb/s down to nearly 5 Mb/s). Why is this? I'm on the M100 service. 

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: M100 upload speed

What is your connection like with a direct connection using a Cat 5E/6 cable between the Hub and a 1Gbs capable Pc/Mac/Chromebook and no other devices connected ?

It can be difficult diagnosing problems without some basic information.

Have you checked the 'Check Service Status' at the top of the page ?

If nothing is showing try phoning 0800 561 0061, this will tell you of more local issues that may be affecting the area. Be aware that it isn't a manned line.

Go round all the accessible co-ax connections and ensure that they are finger tight.

If everything above is OK we need do some troubleshooting; to start with …

Can you set up a Broadband Quality Monitor (BQM) at thinkbroadband.com - this will give you an insight into what is happening with the signal at the other side of the Hub, it will take a few hours to get any kind of trend showing although you can post the link straight away.

Post a link to your BQM on here.

Instructions for posting BQM Link

Under your BQM graph are two links in red.

Click the lower link (Share Live Graph) then click generate.

Copy the text in the Direct Link box, beware, there may be more text than you can see.

On here click the Link icon (2 links chain to the left of the camera icon)

In the URL box paste the link you copied and in the ‘text to display’ box write My BQM then click OK - you can post the link straight away.

Then

Can you please

Type 192.168.0.1 (192.168.100.1 in Modem mode) into your browser URL bar and press enter. 

When the page appears DO NOT LOG IN but click ‘Check Router Status’.

Copy and paste the contents of the Downstream, Upstream and Network Log tabs onto here, if you get a yellow warning click the Post button again.

A Guru will be along soon to decipher the info.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
HowieH
Tuning in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Upload speeds now back to normal for the last couple of days. Assume there was some issue following the planned maintenance and this has been resolved. 

0 Kudos
HowieH
Tuning in
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Spoke too soon. Lost broadband and TV for around 17 hours. I don't see how the network maintenance of last week has done anything to keep broadband working well, if anything it's made it much worse. 

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

How about posting the information requested in Post #2 of this thread ?

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
HowieH
Tuning in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Because it became clear that the fault was on the network rather than anything to do with my connection to the street level cabinet. Pretty much every issue I've ever seen has been network related where Virgin engineers have to rebalance the loads to even out bandwidth. I pay for a service where Virgin Media diagnose and resolve faults on my behalf. As for your suggestions, I can't link an Ethernet cable to my smartphone for the exercise you're suggesting. I went to the site you named and tried to initiate a monitor but I don't understand what I'm supposed to be looking for. I was under the impression that this website was monitored by Virgin Media support staff who could investigate problems on my behalf. I'm not going to devote hours to troubleshoot problems when it's not my responsibility to do so. Once I saw the upload speeds recover I assumed the post maintenance fault had been resolved until I lost both broadband and TV for about 17 hours. As you might imagine I'm pretty p****d off with Virgin right now. 

0 Kudos
Melissa_F
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi HowieH,

Thanks for your post.

I'm really sorry that you've been having ongoing broadband problems and I can see why you'd be frustrated with this.

I've had a look at your services and your power levels are out of specification so I've booked you a technician appointment.

I've booked you in for the next available slot and you can see the details of this via your online account here

You can rearrange the appointment there also if this isn't suitable.

Thanks

Melissa

0 Kudos
HowieH
Tuning in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Melissa 

I responded to an SMS text asking me about the technician visit by saying FIXED before I saw your posting here (the email alerting me to the forum update ended up in my spam folder). 

Upload speeds are close to 10Mbps now so that looks okay to me following the network outage. I've occasionally clocked downloads using the Speedtest app on my phone reaching 100Mbps but that's rare and I'm usually on 50Mbps max. 

Do I still need to get a technician here? I've always assumed that I get the 50Mbps download speed because of bandwidth contention and lack of capacity on the fibre backbone. 

0 Kudos
Melissa_F
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi HowieH,

I'm glad things are looking better, but yes you'll still need a technician appointment as your power levels are out of spec so I'd like to get that fixed for you. 

The appointment is still showing on your account at the moment. Have you had a reply from the text? 

Thanks

Melissa

0 Kudos
HowieH
Tuning in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I got a text reply as follows:

Thanks for letting us know - we've now cancelled your visit. If you need any more help, just call... 

and a number beginning 0333...

Do I need to call the number? 

0 Kudos