Menu
johnson293
Tuning in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

M100 not getting minimum guaranteed speed, even over ethernet

Had Virgin M100 for almost a week, and have yet to hit the minimum guaranteed speed (54mbps). This is connected by ethernet direct to the router (Hub 3).

I thought it may be the service needing to settle in first few days, but it isn't improving. Using Speedtest.net as recommended by VM, the speeds average around 40-45mbps at best over ethernet. Wifi speeds usually between 30-40mbps.

Previous servcie was with Sky Fibre max (up to 67mbps) and regularly hit the minimum required speed. As yet, this isn't affecting our usage, but I am paying for an up to 100mbps service and not even getting the minimum speeds yet.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

MJ

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: M100 not getting minimum guaranteed speed, even over ethernet

Check your computer/laptop, has up to date drivers, and connect it via a known good and working Cat5e (or better) ethernet cable, directly to the Hub which you have put into “modem mode”. Test at speedtest.net (not the App!) to your nearest VM server - try on 2 different browsers.

If they are still low – boot the device into safe+networking mode and try again.

There are many posts on here where unknown software, corrupted browsers or other connected devices are limiting speeds on tests.

Report back what that gets.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos