Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Low speeds and signal dropping

Hi

Since lockdown my connection has been dropping in and out constantly, upload and download speeds have been awful. The online test either works and shows nothing wrong, or it says oops something has gone wrong.  I have done everything they always ask, turned off the hub and rebooted, checked wires etc.  The issue is not in my home at all everything works fine, all the flashing lights are there and present.  We dont watch TV we just stream on smart TV or computer and some nights we cannot watch anything.  Its all times of day and night, what exactly am I paying money for.  It's so intermittent perhaps why the online tests cant find anything wrong. Its constant and so intermittent, buffering in 2020?  They always seem to ask for me to check my equipment, ive been a customer for years and had this issue about 3 years ago or so and it wasnt resolved until someone came out and checked from outside but the issue is back.  I dont understand Virgin's reluctance to actually come and check from the street boxes to house. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Low speeds and signal dropping

Is this over a wired or wireless connection?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Ive tried both, ive done everything Virgin as you to do. Wired speed test, wireless speed test, turn it off and back on again, reboot, check connections.  Ive been a customer for many years this is a recurring problem but been so much worse since March again. Not getting what I am paying for 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi Polleepops,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community and welcome, I am sorry you are getting lower than expected speeds through WiFi and wired.

Please can you make sure when checking via wired you are using a device with a gigabit network card using a cat 5 or above Ethernet cable with your router in modem mode.

If you are still have issues I would advise you to Set up a free “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any network dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with us. Make sure you un-check the “ignore ping from WAN side” box in the settings if you see a wall of "red" - note it will take an hour or two to start seeing a sensible picture, you can find this here .

Please run this for 72 hours and post the results her publicly so we can have a look into this for you.

Kind regards

Paul.

0 Kudos