cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low speed issue: Ethernet cable, extender?

Jrojomar
Tuning in

Hi everyone,

A year ago or so my partner and I became Virgin Media broadband customers. While we went for a fairly strong speed (the advertised download speed is 362 Mbps), what reaches my home office upstairs is quite patchy.

Some info...

------------------------

- The distance the WiFi has to cross to reach me: Across the living room, up several flights of stairs (with walls here and there along the way), all the way to two floors up

- The speed I get: If I’m the only one at home, I can work relatively fine, send / receive emails and load pages at reasonable speed (although video calls can be tricky.) If my partner’s working downstairs, then it can get slower, and video calls get very patchy.

------------------------

Given the above information, what does this community think would be the best solution? If it is an ethernet cable or an extender, which models would you say would fit best with our setting?

Thanks in advance,

José     

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Your tests prove that you are seeing full speed to the HUB over the VM network, which is good news!

The challenge with wireless is you need a good connection on both sides. Depending on the age of your laptop it may not be capable of the maximum speed.

That being said, such a massive drop in speed shows something like an extender should help.

Keep in mind an extender should be placed between your HUB, and where you get a good signal. The reason being the signal is extended, so if you place the extender in a bad signal area it will boost, a bad signal!.

Something like this should be a 'cheap' and cheerful start:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-Extender-Repeater-Intelligent-RE550/dp/B08Y5YB5D1

See how you get on, and if it doesn't help you can always return.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

13 REPLIES 13

carl_pearce
Community elder

Can you check this site to see if you are getting full speed to the HUB over the VM network?

https://samknows.com/realspeed/

What sort of signal strength are you getting?

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

A test to show good speed to the hub when we know its the hub wifi being poor lets jump to that conclusion.

Get a better wifi router with 1Gb ports and use hub in modem mode

---------------------------------------------------------------

@legacy1 wrote:

A test to show good speed to the hub when we know its the hub wifi being poor lets jump to that conclusion.

Get a better wifi router with 1Gb ports and use hub in modem mode

We have no idea what's going on as yet. Trying to establish a stable internet connection is the first thing to ascertain, rather than your boring generic "Get a better wifi router with 1Gb ports and use hub in modem mode" you post 1000's of times.

There is no "What's going on". The wifi on these hubs is awful. I lose wifi the second i walk out of the room it is in.

As said already, buy a decent wireless router and solve your problem instantly.

I've had VM for years and apart from one hub (the 2.5) i've always had my own separate router like most people do.

The router i bought was £272 but you don't need to spend that much. Mine picks up wifi from about 100 yards away outside the house and every single room in the house.

You cannot diagnose a problem without evidence, especially when the OP stated that when more than one user was working it got worse.

Jumping to conclusions without knowing the facts is pointless, regardless of your own experience.

I use an AiMesh (Asus) solution at home, so I know that the HUBs aren't the best, however asking someone to invest £100+ before knowing their connection is good is not the approach I would take.

When it comes to VM hubs it's the most sensible route to take. VM Hub Wifi is poor at best and always has been.

Sorry that my own evidence over 20 odd years isn't good enough for you. I'll go find some more under the bed.

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

Put very simply: wired trumps wireless every time. Get someone like an electrician to run an Ethernet cable upstairs. You'll want a wireless access point upstairs. If you want to connect multiple devices to the cable use a network switch (see my sig for an example).

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

@carl_pearce wrote:

rather than your boring generic "Get a better wifi router with 1Gb ports and use hub in modem mode" you post 1000's of times.

its rather boring people posting poor wifi problems what your point?  

---------------------------------------------------------------

@legacy1 wrote:

@carl_pearce wrote:

rather than your boring generic "Get a better wifi router with 1Gb ports and use hub in modem mode" you post 1000's of times.

its rather boring people posting poor wifi problems what your point?  

My point is your generic response is not helpful 99% of the time.