Menu
Nikoy
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Low ping high lag

On my sons Sony PlayStation 4 he averages 20mbs down with a 3mb up

We bought the m100 so he could play games we have tried using the ethernet that got sent by virgin media and still consistent lagging through the day we have rebooted over and over again we reset the router from the back, but the WiFi still fluctuates throughout the day we did a speed test with ethernet and without ethernet and there was only a 10mb down difference he averages 20-50 ping but has Spikes continously. One day we tried it in the night and we got 0-10ms. The household we live in is not heavily into WiFi so we don't know why the WiFi feels so congested

Any help please 

0 Kudos
nathan_zetec
Up to speed
Message 2 of 30
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Low ping high lag

How far is the cable run or WiFi distance? Brick walls etc

0 Kudos
JitteryPinger
Super solver
Message 3 of 30
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Is the PS4 being used via Wireless or Wired connection to the Hub? This makes alot of difference when Gaming I find, also confirm that when the PS4 is connected via Cable that the WiFi is not still connected by removing the network from the PS4.

I might add that like everything at the moment, Playstation network has/is having some issues with reliability, what game/s are the issues occuring in?

If I've helped please let me know 🙂 Matt

A 10+ Year Virgin Media veteran, been here through the Up's and the Down's and Down's....
Gigabit 5G Vodafone 5G EE BQM Hub 4 BQM Hub 3 BQM Hitron CGNV4 BQM TT BQM

Technical Support - AV & Networking - Customer Service - Finance - Culinary - Construction
Nikoy
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 30
Flag for a moderator

I would say 1m. We brought his setup downstairs (next to the router) for the time being, but it had no effect so we brought it back upstairs 

0 Kudos
Nikoy
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 30
Flag for a moderator

We have tried wired and wireless both have the same results. The games he plays are fortnite and call of duty. We are wondering if this has something to do with the unexpected load of Internet usage currently. I work in the NHS so I have to be at work constantly and he only plays on his PlayStation as a reward and currently even that's not working 

0 Kudos
JitteryPinger
Super solver
Message 6 of 30
Flag for a moderator

I've heard alot of issues currently with Call Of Duty, I would imagine that they along with most gaming platforms and servers are suffering unprecedented load on there servers right now.

Only additional thing I might as would be to setup a BQM if not already done so.

You can do this here https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality 

and share the live link for observation over the next 24 hours.

A 10+ Year Virgin Media veteran, been here through the Up's and the Down's and Down's....

Technical Support - AV & Networking - Customer Service - Finance - Culinary - Construction
0 Kudos
Nikoy
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 30
Flag for a moderator

I used to have the same package with no issues the latency would be around 10-20 ms I got the m100 again because contract had expired and we didn't want the TV box but with this we have had so many issues and we get 60-100ms latency 

I Don't understand what latency am I supposed to expect with the m100 

0 Kudos
JitteryPinger
Super solver
Message 8 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Latency doesn't change with the package, however latency can increased due to congestion related issues on either local or remote Virgin Media network or even remote services that are overloaded.

The idea of setting up the graph would be to see if the how the latency is impacted between the outside network and your hub.

0 Kudos
Nikoy
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Do you think it's because of corona virus because at night the ping is like 20 I think due to lower congestion 

0 Kudos
JitteryPinger
Super solver
Message 10 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Most likely, I guess the ping figures quoted are from the Playstation.

0 Kudos