Robert_P
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 11 of 20
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Latency spikes (M100)

Hello willthong

I've arranged for a technician to attend and look over this further for you on the 26th April between 8am and 12pm. Please let me know if there are any individuals shielding in the property or if this isn't convenient for you and I can look to reschedule it.

Please be aware that this is the earliest appointment we can offer and any changes may lead to a later appointment.

Rob

0 Kudos
willthong
Tuning in
Message 12 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hi, thanks for sorting out the engineer visit. The engineer visited a month ago (26 April). He was really helpful and explained that there were latency issues in the area caused by understandably increased demand. He requested extra capacity to be installed.

As I am still experiencing the same spikes (making working from home on video chat very difficult), could you please confirm that this extra capacity has been installed? And, if not, can you please let me know how I can track the progress of the work? Thanks!

0 Kudos
Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 13 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hi willthong, 

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear that you are still having these issues. 

There isn't a way to track the work I'm afraid. Usually the engineer would raise this up and then the networks team will check the capacity in the area and go from there. As it stands nothing has been scheduled. 

I have looked at the account to check your Hub stats and I can see the downstream power levels are quite high. I would like to arrange for an engineer to come to take a look at this for you. 

I just need to confirm the address to ensure we are booking the visit on the correct account. 

I have sent you a private message regarding this. Just click on the little plum envelope at the top right hand side of the page to access your inbox.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
risc19
Well-informed
Message 14 of 20
Flag for a moderator

@willthong wrote:

Hi, thanks for sorting out the engineer visit. The engineer visited a month ago (26 April). He was really helpful and explained that there were latency issues in the area caused by understandably increased demand. He requested extra capacity to be installed.

As I am still experiencing the same spikes (making working from home on video chat very difficult), could you please confirm that this extra capacity has been installed? And, if not, can you please let me know how I can track the progress of the work? Thanks!

Yeah, good luck with that.

I've been waiting 6 months and they still haven't done anything yet.

My Broadband Ping - Virgin Lagfest Modem Mode
willthong
Tuning in
Message 15 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hi Kath,

Thanks for getting back to me!

"Usually the engineer would raise this up and then the networks team will check the capacity in the area and go from there." Yes, this is exacftly what happened. The engineer raised this up by calling the networks team in front of me. The networks team confirmed (over the phone to the engineer) that there was insufficient capacity in the area due to overutilisation, consistent with my Broadband Quality Monitor. He told me that he had organised with the networks team to install additional capacity. If, as you say, "nothing has been scheduled", can I take it that Virgin is unable to install additional capacity as I was promised? And, if so, can you let me know the best number to call to cancel my contract? I'll be switching to Vodafone, who offer the same speed for a lower cost per month. Thanks!

I don't know what another engineer visit would do. How would it be different from the first? If, as you say, nothing's been scheduled, wouldn't they just find exactly the same overutilisation issues the first engineer reported? The engineer removed an unnecessary attenuator from my router which your installation guy had put in when first installing it, which may explain the power levels.

Kind regards,

Will

0 Kudos
Serena_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 16 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hi @willthong

Thanks very much for all the details.

I am going to chase up the area field manager for you now to confirm that they will be installing additional capacity.

As your downstream power levels are high, would you still like us to book an engineer for that too?

Please let me know,

Thanks,

Serena

0 Kudos
willthong
Tuning in
Message 17 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hi Serena_C,

Thanks for this update. Please do keep me posted on the area field manager's response.

If you think the downstream power levels are the reason behind my latency spikes, do feel free to book an engineer - but the previous engineer said the power levels were fine and I don't have any other complaints about the service.

Kind regards,

Will

0 Kudos
Ashleigh_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 18 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Thank you @willthong

I have spoken to Serena and although there has been no update yet she is chasing this for you. 

Thank you again and so sorry this is ongoing, 

Ash_C
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
willthong
Tuning in
Message 19 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

You've had two months to deal with this and it's still happening:

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/f7abe38c6b8268da9a886d444f2694e48b10f321-21-06-2021

I've heard absolutely nothing from you with regard to the additional capacity - inclined to think it's a stalling tactic at worst, and that at best you don't care about my custom. Could you please connect me to your disconnections team? Thanks!

Kind regards,

Will

Zach_R
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 20 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hi @willthong,

I am really sorry to hear that your issues appear to be ongoing. I assure you that we're here to help.

If you do wish to discuss disconnection options then please reach out to our retentions department by calling 150 (free of charge) from a Virgin Media landline, or 0345 454 1111 from any other phone. I'm afraid we're unable to process cancellations from here.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team

0 Kudos