Menu
Haribo87
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Latency issues!

Recently i have been struggling massively with latency issues.

I have spoke to VM on a number of occasions - first to be told 'there is a known issue, i will be fixed in 5 days'

I waited 10 days - still same issue 

Rang up again - after going around the houses and i confirmed my issue wasn't to do with my upload or download she said she wasn't trained - asked if i can hold - AND CUT ME OFF?!

Today i have spoke to another customer service member - nice guy and seemed to be very knowledgeable but advised this is due to the demand in the area and upgrades are ongoing for just shy of a month when it SHOULD be fixed and that i have to grin and bare it... 

Now i pay a premium for 200mbs connection as i enjoy gaming of an evening time when my kids are in bed - if i'm now completely unable to game as my ping fluctuates constantly to 4 - 6 x the average.

Surely there is something more that can be done as i refuse to believe just being on lockdown has caused this much of a difference? It appears to be a form of throttling? 

issue.jpg

Can someone please give some more info and enlighten me?
Is there nothing that can be done? Do i need to quit whining and put up with it?

This issue is in the NN5 area of Northampton

0 Kudos
adz161
Dialled in
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Latency issues!

Hi ,

I am in Pineham,Northampton. Same problem as you . Been going on since feb . They are doing nothing to fix it other than they keep bumping the date along and along . 

I have lost all confidence that they will bother to do anything to fix it now . The service is unusable 8am -Midnight. Have had to revert to 4g . 

0 Kudos
Haribo87
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Yeah quite literally 8am till midnight... almost as if they are turning on a throttle or something.

If it was just weekdays that trend happens I'd find it more believable.. but Sunday from pretty much bang on 8am...

I dont want to ring up threatening to leave or owt as that's just more hassle than it's worth, but how do I get genuine info and not feel I'm being fobbed off?

20200511_174602.png

(Edit: Re-uploaded image of issue as previous had my IP address on - oops)

adz161
Dialled in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

They won’t listen, or advise anything genuine their game is to fob off customers unfortunately. 

Current fix date is 29th may . Apparently the issue is more cable streams need to be installed to increase the capacity in Northampton. 

ian9outof10
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I was up late last night, unable to sleep. At 3am my 200mb/20mb serivce was runing at roguly 1mb/1mb with latency that was in the hundreds.

I very much doubt that this is a capacity issue that late at night. Something is going on, and it's really starting to get on my nerves.

As noted, speeds have not been good for some time, I've had endless router reboots and other slowness. Latency, being the most noticable. For most things, a speed drop to a few 10s of mb/s is not the end of the world (although I generally expect that my 200mb service is around that speed most of the time).

I'm not going to get angry about the occasional busy period, but Virgin's communications are abysmal. I expect to be TOLD when there are problems like this, and I expect updates. I'm not asking for miracles, but communicating the issue seems the least this expensive service can offer.

0 Kudos
actech
Tuning in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

It is the same for me too, area 31 Cambridge/Northampton area.  Bandwidth is variable and latency for any time sensitive application like streaming, voice or gaming is through the roof which makes it completely unusable.

VM support just seem to want to fob you off or not talk to you.  I'm coming to the conclusion that the SH3 (Arris TG2492) is still hitting the latency issues that were suppose to be fixed 12-18 months ago with "the" firmware upgrade.  It is exactly the same symptoms.

There is talk that the SH4 based on the Arris TG3492, which they are using for their Gig customers is going to be rolled out to the lower speed customers, this may help, but there have been some poor reviews on that units performance too, so not sure if it will.  I'll gladly give it a try, if they offered it me but I don't see it coming soon enough.

I've already started talking to other providers to see what my options are and I've certainly got more of a choice today than I did a few years ago.

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

That isn’t a hub issue.

Upgrading (more of a side grade in reality) your hub won’t fix area issues

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
adz161
Dialled in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Still not fixed 6months later . Anyone else’s connection in Northampton any better ? 

0 Kudos
Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi adz161.  As you've posted in 2 threads regarding the same issue.  We're going to respond in one only if that's okay.

Regards

Lee_R

0 Kudos
dochtor
Tuning in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

bqm.png

That's what I see everyday since some time in march! Thats over 4 months of useless service. NN3