Menu
Nookharper
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Latency issues with VPN ZScaler

I'm working from home, connecting to my employers network through the ZScaler VPN.
I've been experiencing connection, speed and latency issues for weeks - MS Teams calls drop daily, freeze, lose sound, Outlook Exchange Server slows, and ZScaler itself keeps showing as offline. 
I've recently upgraded my speed to 200mbps, and I usually get between 100-200 when I test on Ookla. 
My son has 5 hours of live lessons via Teams for High School, and isn't having problems. Neither is my daughter who's remote learning with Teams for primary school (video calls only once or twice a day instead of every hour), nor my wife who's homeworking as well. 

It's literally only me, when I use ZScaler VPN. 
Leisure usage is fine - Google Meet and gaming connections work fine. 

I've tested my speed through ZScaler and my work system, and when it's experiencing issues, it drops to <1mbps at times, averaging 2-5mbps whilst other laptops connected to my wifi router are getting 100+mbps.

If I connect through my Vodaphone data contract on my mobile phone, ZScaler works fine, but obviously that's not a sustainable solution. 

I've gone through this with my work IT Support, and they are adamant that the issue lies with Virgin Media, and the VM are throttling the VPN. 

Is there a workaround to this, or is it a known issue? 

I'm not convinced that it's not my work IT infrastructure causing the issue, but it could also be a VM issue. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
sayekm
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Latency issues with VPN ZScaler

I am just a customer like yourself who also use Zscaler VPN at home and also 2 teenagers homeschool.

You mostly likely have other isues on your connection and hopefully someoe will come along and assist soon.

But I will say my Zscaler would randomly disconnect and ask for authentication serveral time a day when connected via Wi-Fi on Virgin router. Several work colleques using Virgin said the same thing about Zscaler.

I bought a BT mesh kit in April 2020 and no trouble since 😎 Thats my experience with Zscaler and Virgin but maybe you have other issues.

sayekm_1-1613989289531.png

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
M200 Oomph - 5GB SIM + 3 extra SIM family plan - BT whole Wi-Fi - Sky Q
............................................................................................................................
Don't cry over Virgin price increase instead speak to retentions team and negotiate a better deal.
Nookharper
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi

Thanks for reading and replying. I'm hoping that there aren't any other issues. We do have regular speed and connection issues, but they affect the whole house. 

I have had a Teams call drop out 4 times in 20 minutes this morning, whilst my general broadband speed was clocking at 175mbps download, 20.7mbps upload and 3ms jitter. 

It's really annoying.

What does the BT Mesh Kit do?

zscaler_LI (2).jpg

0 Kudos
sayekm
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

That connection error looks familiar 😓

sayekm_1-1613995043610.png

You mentioned 2 other people in the house no trouble so thats pointing to Zscaler and Virgin Wi-Fi.

The BT kit takes over the Wi-Fi from the standard Virgin router and also provide better coverage over the house. I have this twin pack set £120.

https://shop.bt.com/products/bt-whole-home-wi-fi---twin-pack-092099-D543.html

There are cheaper mesh kits available from other manufactures but I can't comment how well they work.  I am using the BT kit on M200 with Zscaler and works great for me.

If you getting 20up peak times thats better connection than mine 😀.. I get only 10up peak times and returns to 20up off peak hours. 

Not everyone is prepared to spend extra money from their pocket  but its individual choice. BT kit has 3 years warranty and is more of a Wi-Fi investment regardless which ISP you change to in future.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
M200 Oomph - 5GB SIM + 3 extra SIM family plan - BT whole Wi-Fi - Sky Q
............................................................................................................................
Don't cry over Virgin price increase instead speak to retentions team and negotiate a better deal.
Wolfclaw
Superfast
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

My company uses ZS and had horrendous problems, most of the time it just didn't want to know, made few post about me and my VPN troubles of the last few years here and guess what, one simple option fixed it all.

Switch this garbage off, only people who benefit are VM by getting some dosh for each search query and they already screw over their customers enough !!

Advanced Network Error Search | Virgin Media

Seems a lot of company network sees this thing and think it's a man in the middle attack and correctly blocks !

Now have had many happy months of working from home during lockdown and a stable VPN service !

Nookharper
Joining in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hey Wolfclaw A colleague had already suggested this, as it came up when he was trouble shooting with IT. I turned it off about a week ago, but I'm still having issues. Thanks though. Really appreciate you taking the time to reply.
0 Kudos