Menu
joshmcreed
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Latency issues at peak times

I've been having these issues for as long as I can remember now, all my speeds look fine but during peak hours (4pm-11pm) I get horrible latency issues making it impossible to game. I play FPS games and every couple of seconds I get a rubberband spike.

I've now had 3 technicians out that have replaced all my cables, checked my levels, checked the signal etc and still have exactly the same issue. I'm connected by ethernet cable so wifi is not the issue, I've had 2 different PC's so it's not a PC issue.

I literally have no idea what the issue could possibly be and what else I can even do to fix it except maybe try a new ISP? When it first started a few years back I'm sure it started as being throttled and then it just never recovered after Virgin claiming they don't throttle?

Here is a BQM i ran a few weeks back showing my issue:

3IEDpxp.png

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Latency issues at peak times

Your image hasn't yet been approved by the moderators, so I can't see it, but based on your clear and comprehensive description, what I'd expect to see is evidence of over-subscription.  That is (unfortunately) where VM have happily sold more contracts than the capacity of the local network.  In a very few cases VM will invest to pay for additional capacity...but as a lllooonngggg time customer and forum contributor the company's normal solution is to deny the problem and wait for sufficient customer to leave due to poor connections.

If your BQM shows an acceptable connection between 1am and 7am, but a rubbish connection between 7am and 1am (with particular difficulty 6pm to 11pm) then it may indeed be time to look for another ISP.  

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
joshmcreed
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thankyou mate, that's exactly what my BQM shows. My family will probably stay with them as it doesn't really affect watching Netflix etc. but I'm going to look into getting my own connection... any ISP recommendations?

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

If you're getting a dedicated gaming and personal use Openreach connection, then I'd suggest that you avoid the major ISPs.  Whilst all physical work is done by Openreach, there's a large gulf between the ability of different ISPs to get the best out of Openreach during installation and if there's any tech problems, and some of the smaller ISPs have much better tech support (and customer service) than any large ISP.  These companies don't offer the deeply discounted deals with a twelve month lock in, so may appear more expensive than taking a discounted Sky package, but I'd still say avoid the large companies. 

Take a look at this, for example.  AAISP is by far and away the first choice of my techy contacts, but I've not dealt with them, Zen Internet I have had multiple  dealings with on behalf of a relative and they have been excellent, and I reckon they're a few quid a month cheaper than AAISP.  But Aquiss, uno, IDNet all have merit, if you find the right deal.  My VM discount expires later this year, VM appear to be trying to avoid discounting, so I will probably be in the market for a new ISP, and I'll be speaking to AAISP and Zen, seeing what they can offer, and if VM can't offer a credible price I'll choosing one of those two.  

Whoever you plan to go with, check them out on Trustpilot first and see what people are saying - and as a benchmark, check out Virgin Media on Trustpilot whilst you're there.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos