cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Latency Spikes

craigmdennis
On our wavelength

I have been experiencing very high latency and not only that but spiking latency meaning that I can't use video conferencing services or online game.

I am on a Hub 4. I don't know if there is a debug output I can post.

I have been through all of the support recommendations (reboots, remote reboots, diagnostics on the router, diagnostics on the online portal) and all report "no known issues". 

I see a ton of people on this forum describe this same issue but have yet to find a resolution.

I have been advised by VM Twitter to post on this forum https://twitter.com/virginmedia/status/1449039305423392776?s=20

Below is my BQM for the past day. It's very much like this and worse for the past week.

My Broadband Ping - Virgin Media

Does anyone (at Virgin Media) know what you or I can try in order to resolve this?

31 REPLIES 31

Ok, so there has been a monumental mess-up by one of the engineering teams (orange overalls) that came to replace the cable.

They had no idea what they actually needed to do they just said "we're here to dig the cable". Then they proceeded to cut the wrong cable and completely disconnect us. They knew they messed up, phoned their boss, and then took off; assuring us there would be another team coming to fix it. 

In the mean time, they'd pulled a new cable from the pit and ripped up all the old cable. So when the next team arrived (yellow jackets), they were confused. Not least because the pit was still dangerous to work in due to the gas leak and so they couldn't connect any cables up. Had the first crew left the original cable, the second crew could have re-patched the cable and given us some connectivity back.

This meant that the first team were idiots in multiple ways.

Then another crew turned up. So we had 4 yellow-jacketed Kier engineers and two huge vans wondering what to do. These folks were amazing; truely. They kept checking the gas levels, spoke to the gas engineers, and were really apologetic. They stuck around until the gas levels had dropped enough for one to pop into the pit, reconnect us, and pop back out. They then pinned the cable and reconnected us.

Now all of that was over about 4 hours. And 4 hours of high stress at that.

And initial indications were positive. I had a more consistent ping when playing online (still not great, but better than it was). And I have been able to have conference calls again.

But look at today's chart. It seems worse. I don't know what the issue is except network congestion. But I'm not going to tempt fate again.

My Broadband Ping - Parent's

Hi Craig,

Thank you for reaching back out to us and for the update, really sorry to hear the Job took longer than necessary due to an error when removing the cable however we are glad you are now back up and running.

I can see by the Graph things weren't great on Wednesday, I have had a look at things your end and it all looks good, no issues showing however it does look like you haven't rebooted your Hub since the repair, if you are still facing issues please unplug the Router from the power leave 2 Minutes then plug back in?

Regards

Paul.