Menu
jpotts
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Laptops getting low speeds upstairs

Laptops when next to the hub get 100mb speeds, but upstairs they are getting between 20-40mb.

However, my mobile phone gets 100mb next to the hub, but around 75mb upstairs.

This is quite annoying because to qualify for a free wifi booster, it's your phone that needs to be slow, but that is pretty much fine in any room.

Is it possible to qualify for a free wifi booster when your phone says the network is fine? Maybe somehow running the Virgin Connect Blackspot check via a laptop? 

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
conman33158
Superfast
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Laptops getting low speeds upstairs

You would probably be better investing in a third party router or mesh system for better coverage and speed like a wifi 6 capable router. Then you can put your VM Hub in modem mode and let the router deal with all your traffic 🙂

***********************************************************************************************************************************
Super Hub 4.0 (modem mode) - Gig1 Fibre FTTP - Asus RT-AX82U & Asus RT-AX56U with AiMesh setup
***********************************************************************************************************************************
My Broadband Ping - conman33158
jpotts
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Conman, although I was hoping to not have to buy any additional equipment.

Do you recommend a particular mesh?  I've heard the Google and Eero ones are good...

0 Kudos
conman33158
Superfast
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I'm not sure about the mesh systems mate, I see a lot of people taking about the TP Link Deco but have no experience with them. I use an Asus RT-AX82U & Asus RT-AX56U with their own software called AiMesh, although a bit pricey, it's a great setup though and gives me coverage all around the house, it's the best buy I ever made as far as a mesh setup goes to be honest 🙂

Super Hub 4.0 (modem mode) - Gig1 Fibre FTTP - Asus RT-AX82U & Asus RT-AX56U with AiMesh setup
My Broadband Ping - conman33158
jpotts
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks mate
0 Kudos