Menu
lontjc
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Laptop not reflecting 200MB broadband speed

My wife and I both use laptops with a wired connection.  Both are reasonably recent machines running Windows 10.  We have 200MB broadband.   We just ran speedtest.net simultaneously on both machines.   My PC returns 200MB reading if not slightly higher.  My wife's PC returns 60MB.  What could be choking the speed recorded on my wife's laptop?  

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Laptop not reflecting 200MB broadband speed

Try changing the ethernet cable to a new Cat5e/6/7 one first - they can fail - and Cat5 cables will limit speeds to <100.
Check its network card is set to 1GB and not the limiting 10/100 speeds. Then ensure its drivers are up to date. If they are ok and still low - do it this way...

As you expect >100Mbps then connect a 1GB enabled computer/laptop, directly to the Hub which you have first put into “modem mode” (see VM website for “How To”). Test at speedtest.net (not using their App!) to your nearest VM server - try on 2 different browsers.

If they are still low – boot the device into safe+networking mode and try again in the same modem mode way

There are many posts on here where unknown/flaky software, old network card drivers, corrupted browsers or other connected devices are limiting speeds on tests.

Report back what that gets.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
lontjc
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Outdated software seems to be the major issue, having tried all the tests given below.  Very helpful.  Many thanks. 

0 Kudos
conman33158
Super solver
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Also don't run the tests simultaneously but individually as one PC will nearly always takes most of the bandwidth unless you're using a router with QoS (Quality of Service) software.

***********************************************************************************************************************************
Super Hub 4.0 (modem mode) - Gig1 Fibre FTTP - Asus RT-AX82U & Asus RT-AX56U with AiMesh setup
***********************************************************************************************************************************
My Broadband Ping - conman33158
0 Kudos