Menu
Beermatt2000
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

LAN speed good BUT WiFi not

Hi there, when using my mobile via WiFi quite often the internet suffers intermittent freezes or very slow and using a speed checker the ping is over 100ms and download around 10-30 mbps, or even as slow as 1-2Mbps. Even when sat right next to the router. 
Running a test at the same time on a pc wired to the LAN my speeds are 90Mbps so I know it’s just the WiFi that’s slow. I’ve tried a different mobile and have the same problem. I’ve rebooted and reset the router as per virgin guidelines to no avail Any ideas as to why my WiFi speeds are so bad??

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: LAN speed good BUT WiFi not

Just a few things that can affect Wi-Fi in the average home …

Blockage (visible) …

Mirrors, furniture, fish tanks, people, radiators, walls, flooring / ceilings.

Interference (invisible) …

Cordless phones, baby monitors, microwave ovens, fridges & freezers, TVs, next doors Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi equipment, DAB transmitters, the list is endless.

My VM Hub 3 Wi-Fi went into meltdown when the local authority / police CCTV camera on the lamppost adjacent to my house was used.

Many people have accepted that the VM Wi-Fi is poor and have purchased third party equipment that is much, much more powerful than the VM supplied kit and once set up have wondered why they waited for so long.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
Beermatt2000
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks MikeRobbo

its a strange one as the router is in the same place as it’s always been and speeds used to be much higher, that said thinking about it I have recently plugged in a four way plug extension lead - can’t imagine that would interfere much! Speeds two floors up above the router are as good as sat right next to it - still slow.

maybe a 3rd party router is the way to go - do people tend to wire them into the virgin router or bin that one off? Not sure with the ‘cable’ ones as always used BT phone line type before

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

The VM Hub must stay in the system and cannot be replaced as such, just added to.

I use a Netgear R8000P, it gives excellent coverage through my very old, big, stone built with thick internal old brick walls along with large chimney breasts.

Others on here swear by using Mesh Systems, it is all down to environmental requirements and preference.

As for recommendations, only you know the ...

Budget,

Environment,

Workload the device will have to support.

Have a read of online PC and Networking mags to get an idea.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
Beermatt2000
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the advice - I’ll have a look

0 Kudos
Beermatt2000
Tuning in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@MikeRobbo. Well.... what a difference. The router you recommended out of my price range so ended up getting a tp-link deco mesh setup. What a difference! 90-110Mbps throughout the house. And so far seems more stable. Thanks again 🙂