Menu
LS1231
Joining in
Message 1 of 100
Flag for a moderator

Just joined with slow speed

I joined virgin media 4 days ago with the M350 broadband and i've done several speed tests on my desktop computer and my phone and im yet to see anything over 130mbps. I've also gone through the "WiFi wins" and things like that and made sure everything is connected plus resetting the hub but nothing is changing. The speeds have gone as low as 78 bytes on steam when downloading a game and it said it would take over a year to download and as slow as 4mbps on speedtest.net.

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 100
Flag for a moderator

Re: Just joined with slow speed

Speeds are only guaranteed over a wired connection not wireless. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Aureliano
Joining in
Message 3 of 100
Flag for a moderator

Don't think so Gary, I am wired and also joined virgin media 3 days ago with the M350 broadband and I can get past anything over 165 mbps. Have been told that due to COVID-19 it would be slower, but that's definitely too slow.
0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 100
Flag for a moderator

@Aureliano wrote:
Don't think so Gary, I am wired and also joined virgin media 3 days ago with the M350 broadband and I can get past anything over 165 mbps. Have been told that due to COVID-19 it would be slower, but that's definitely too slow.

Aside from the fact this isn’t your post, what are you Speedtesting from?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
0 Kudos
LS1231
Joining in
Message 5 of 100
Flag for a moderator

my friend has the exact same package and he is able to get over 360mbps on wireless and he has a lot more devices in his house so you would expect it to be worse

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 100
Flag for a moderator

Wireless environments vary from house to house.

What are you wired speeds like?

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 100
Flag for a moderator

As Gary g=has advised to both of yous test this way...

If you think that you have a BB speed problem, then to check the speeds coming in to your Hub properly, and whether they match what you should be getting, you cannot rely on wifi tests, - no BB supplier guarantees those - only speeds "TO" the Hub are guaranteed. So, you need to test speeds directly.... that's on an ethernet cable (Cat5e/6) connected to a GB enabled computer/laptop, with up to date drivers with the Hub in modem mode. Test at speedtest.net to your nearest VM server - try 2 different browsers.
If they are still low – boot the device into safe+networking mode and try again.
There are many posts on here where unknown software or other connected devices are limiting speeds on tests.
Report back what that gets.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
LS1231
Joining in
Message 8 of 100
Flag for a moderator

i dont have a laptop that i could connect and my desktop is 1 floor above the hub so it would be hassle moving anything but i could test my ps4 if that would work as a reliable test

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 9 of 100
Flag for a moderator

Try splitting your 2.4 and 5 Ghz SSIDs into two, so you know you are definitely connected to the best available connection for your device.

Keep in mind that your friend may have a device that is capable of higher speeds.

My LG G6, for example, speedtests at 160 - 200Mbps even in the same room as the HUB 3, even though I have a 350Mbps package.

However, I consistently get full speed on wired devices.

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 100
Flag for a moderator

No consoles aren’t a reliable way to speedtest.

0 Kudos