Menu
jiklomiki83
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Just bought Virgin Media broadband (hub 3.0) - VPN very slow ethernet. Throttling?

I thought I would write it on reddit for everybody to know.

I swapped from sky 50mbps to virgin media 300mbps - Download speed is great - Gaming is worse ping (don't know how that's possible)

But when I use VPN my broadband speed drops to 90% worse. Yes, that bad. and no - it's not a problem with my VPN , I have used it for years and its very good vpn service provider. I used speedtest + downloaded dummy 1gb file as comparison. With VPN - Very slow , big drop in speed Without vpn - Fast

On the Virgin Media forums - lots of people complaining about VPN + their Hub 3.0 - Very **bleep**ty solutions suggested by the VM team and lots of problems with this hub - They also deleted my forum post where I complained about the speed of the VPN - so thought I'd post it here for everybody thinking about going to Virgin Media and use VPN and/or gaming - dont.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Just bought Virgin Media broadband (hub 3.0) - VPN very slow ethernet. Throttling?

this is not reddit.

VM do not throttle speeds.

Docsis cable will also have slower pings than DSL/FTTH
0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Just bought Virgin Media broadband (hub 3.0) - VPN very slow ethernet. Throttling?

VPNs can increase latency just by their method of encrypting information.

Maybe ask your company IT to look at using Identity and Access Management (IAM or IdAM for short) instead of VPNs.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@jiklomiki83 wrote:

I thought I would write it on reddit for everybody to know.

I swapped from sky 50mbps to virgin media 300mbps - Download speed is great - Gaming is worse ping (don't know how that's possible)

But when I use VPN my broadband speed drops to 90% worse. Yes, that bad. and no - it's not a problem with my VPN , I have used it for years and its very good vpn service provider. I used speedtest + downloaded dummy 1gb file as comparison. With VPN - Very slow , big drop in speed Without vpn - Fast

On the Virgin Media forums - lots of people complaining about VPN + their Hub 3.0 - Very **bleep**ty solutions suggested by the VM team and lots of problems with this hub - They also deleted my forum post where I complained about the speed of the VPN - so thought I'd post it here for everybody thinking about going to Virgin Media and use VPN and/or gaming - dont.

I get 300Mbps over a VPN so I'm not sure why your speed is 90% worse.

Maybe your HUB/Line stats are out of spec, causing a stability issue?

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I suppose it depends on the VPN Routing, from the UK a VPN routed through Beijing will be a lot slower than one routed through Amsterdam - and a damned sight less secure as well as slower.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos