Menu
DaveB20
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Issue with ethernet download speed. M500

Hello ,

I am new to Virgin and recently got the M500 package. 

I have been having issues with the download speed when using ethernet. After checking the forums, and looking at the helpful guides that people have posted, I have noticed on the "Connected Devices" tab, it shows that 2 devices are connect. These are my phone, which is connected wireless and my PC which is ethernet. 

The issue I am seeing is the WiFi connection speed is 512Mbps which is fine, but the ethernet speed is only showing as 100Mbps. 

I am unsure as to why this would be the case, but could this be down to that i'm using a powerline adapter that is not capable of handling the high speeds up to 500Mbps and would it be best to purchase a new powerline adapter capable of up to 1000Mbps? 

Appreciate any help you can provide. 

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Issue with ethernet download speed. M500

Hello

What powerlines are yoou running ?

Powerline connections can vary even when getting the best as it relies on the mains in the property and can vary depending on condition, age, what other appliances are on the mains etc.

I myself am running power lines to go from upstairs down to kitchen, these being 1000mbps ones and the most I get wired over them is around the 100mbps.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
DaveB20
Joining in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hello, thanks for replying.

From what I have found out, they are capable of up to 200 Mbps and are a brand that I havent really heard of before called Comtrend. 

Based on this and what I am getting when the phone is connected, that it would be a better option to use the wireless connection rather than ethernet? 

Or would it be an option to have the main box moved from downstairs to upstairs so that I could connect directly into the router? 

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hello

That would be one option too use wireless, from the what you have said it sounds like the Ethernet port on the booster could be limited to a 100mps connection I have seen this a few times in some of the boosters.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
DaveB20
Joining in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your help

Ill give that a try and see if that resolves the issue. 

Regards

0 Kudos
David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi DaveB20,

Thanks for your post, and a very warm welcome to our Community Forums and a very warm welcome to you!

Have the suggestions from the Community Forums resolved this issue for you or is the issue still on going? 

An update would be very much appreciated,

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

0 Kudos
DaveB20
Joining in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hello, 

I have bought a new powerline adapter, which has helped increase the download speed. 

I am now achieving download speeds via ethernet of up to 260 Mbps, but I have also been in contact with the technical team who advised that the speed will vary for up to 2 weeks until the line stabilizes and I am currently nearing the end of the second week, so hopefully this should increase closer to the M500 that I have set up. 

Thanks. 

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I don't know where this "speed will vary for up to 2 weeks until the line stabilizes" comes from - probably just a ploy to get people off the line hoping that they will have forgotten the problem after a fortnight.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

The only way to test your BB Speed is to use a a direct connection using a Cat 5E/6 cable between the Hub and a 1Gbs capable Pc/Mac/Chromebook and no other devices connected

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
DaveB20
Joining in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply. 

I will look into moving the desktop downstairs so that I can connect directly into the hub and see if this gives a more stable connection rather than using the powerline adapter. 

0 Kudos