Menu
keebleh
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Is this against ofcom regs?

So paying for M100 at a high cost and while I understand Covid pressure on the network, averaging 20mps speeds for months now which makes working impossible. Customer services response? It’s not a guaranteed speed. I can’t even get through to cancel as they’ve disconnected everything and if you’re luckily enough to get through by phone, the systems are ‘down’. Is this legal?

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Is this against ofcom regs?

How are you measuring your speeds?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
keebleh
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Independent speed checker app

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Using a wired or wireless connection?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
0 Kudos
keebleh
Tuning in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Has to be wireless as my laptop has no wired ports 🙄

Seriously though - they shouldn't even be allowed to base it on wired in 2020 

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Then no.

OFCOM’s regulations for speeds are speeds delivered to the hub and wired speeds.

No ISP guarantees WiFi speeds.

And those that do charge extra for coverage only (not speed) by way of boosters, mesh discs etc. 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Get an adapter that fits any port you do have on the laptop - with and RJ445 ethernet connector on the other end - plug it in and add a new Cat5e or better ethernet cable and test it that way first.

As gary says wifi connections are not guaranteed and are excluded in your T&C's.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

It is certainly possible that the problem is your wireless, but such a low speed over such a prolonged period makes me suspect that it isn't.  My money is on a skanky cable connection and useless customer service.

But the good news is we can do a preliminary check on that without you having to buy anything.  Connect to your hub, and at the login screen don't login, just click on the link "Check router status".  That brings up a window with five tabs.  Only three of these matter, and they are the ones called Downstream, Upstream, and Network Log.  Copy the entire contents of each of those tabs and post them in separate replies here as text, not images.

Then we'll take a look for incorrect power levels, out of range noise ratios, modulation issues, and evidence in the log of connection problems.  If all is good, it makes sense to focus on the wireless.  If not then we can rope Virgin Media back in to fix the issue.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Corey_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Sorry to hear this is occurring, Keebleh, 

It is correct that WIFI speeds are not guaranteed, but we still do want you to get the most out of your connection. Have you been able to try any of the advice given here virg.in/wifihelp ? If so then what other forum members have advised would be the next recommended steps.

Cheers,

Corey C

0 Kudos