Menu
Sallyiom
Tuning in
Message 1 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Is this a scam?

Phoned by someone purporting to be from Virgin Media and was discussing issues with my broadband. Has none of my details to verify that I am speaking to Virgin Media but wants me to go on my computer and takes me through various steps to do with cmd.exe and event viewer. Gives me a long hexadecimal number which does appear on my screen in order to prove his identity.

Arrive at a screen for Center for Internet Security where I am asked to click on Server 4 at which point I stopped the call to say that I wanted to check with Virgin Media. Can’t get through to talk to a human...

Is this a usual way of working?

DABhand
Super solver
Message 2 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Re: Is this a scam?

Its a scam, similar to the Microsoft ones, they ask you to remote access, say oh dear problem we can fix that for £xxxx amount, you put details of card or bank into fake page, they wipe you clean.

Also there is a chance he set a syskey password on your PC, did he connect to your pc at all?

Majide!
Sallyiom
Tuning in
Message 3 of 23
Flag for a moderator

How would he connect? I didn’t click on the internet server that he wanted me to

0 Kudos
DABhand
Super solver
Message 4 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Thats ok, a thing scammers do is make you use an application that provides remote access, so they gain control of your PC and if they aren't getting their way they can add what is called a syskey (system key) which requires you to type in a password to use your PC each reboot.

But yeah I guess they hit you with the yellow triangle signs on event viewer as problems with your broadband or viruses?

Best thing to do with them is either string them along, tell them since they are hindus they will go to hell for scamming, that makes some of them cry, others get mouthy. Or if you are not in the mood, just say "not interested in scammers today thank you" and then hang up.

Majide!
0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Hero
Message 5 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Ask yourself whether a company with Virgin Media's reputation for customer support would proactively call you to fix your broadband problems.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
Lisa_CC
Message 6 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Hi Sallyiom,

Sorry to hear that someone claiming to be from Virgin Media has contacted you and asked you to go through some actions on a computer with regards to your broadband.

As others have said, I can confirm that no one from Virgin Media will contact you to carry out such actions out of the blue. Unless you have contacted us and are waiting for a callback, we still have certain procedures that we must follow and we will always ask you security questions.

Regards,

Lisa

Sallyiom
Tuning in
Message 7 of 23
Flag for a moderator

I did go to a website www.hub03.webs.com

Could this have accessed anything on my computer?

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Hero
Message 8 of 23
Flag for a moderator

If you were to enable them to connect to your PC with TeamViewer they could create a lot of problems.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Melissa_F
Message 9 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Did you click on anything within that website at all?

Did you notice anything happening on your computer? Did anyone take remote access? Did you notice your mouse moving?

Thanks

Melissa 

0 Kudos
DABhand
Super solver
Message 10 of 23
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Looking at the site's index page, which funnily enough had BT Openreach information text in it, so looks to been originally a template, server 4 just lets you download teamviewer, remotePC or imPCremote. Both Windows and Mac versions.

So that was going to be the next step, nothing in the html shows any type of backdoor stuff etc. So the customer is fine.

Host is enom, and abuse email is abuse@enom.com - obviously I couldn't really find customer information on the url they use.

Majide!